Sign in to follow this  
j0eb0b

NF II sound drivers and Ubuntu

Are there any recommended sound drivers for use with Linux?

I get feedback through my speakers when audio is not being used. When listening to Internet streams, mp3s and CDs the static seems to go away but sound reproduction is variable. I looked at the DFI download page and all of the files reference MS OS. I am presently using the 6/19 bios and the 5.10 system driver package.

Joe

Are there any recommended sound drivers for use with Linux?

I get feedback through my speakers when audio is not being used. When listening to Internet streams, mp3s and CDs the static seems to go away but sound reproduction is variable. I looked at the DFI download page and all of the files reference MS OS. I am presently using the 6/19 bios and the 5.10 system driver package.

Joe

What about these.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0310.html

Thanks for the link.

I don't know how expert you are with Linux, but I'm having a further problem (misunderstanding). I downloaded the driver file from Nvidia and tried to run it from an adminstrator shell. The installer errored off with "binutil not found in path. If binutil is present make sure lp is in path". I verified that binutil is installed on my system. Any idea how I make lp available in the path the binary file resides in?

I have posted this question a couple of places on the Ubuntu forum with no reply. maybe you know.

Joe

Thanks for the reply,

The latest automatix push has, among other things, upgrades to Nivdia drivers. Will try these first.

Important point to note that all of my multimedia works under ubuntu, just not as sharp, clear, strong or tweakable as under MS XP. As per my earlier coment, open source is the future and in the ubuntu/open source community six sigma is personal desire/obsession rather than ISO imprimatur and will ultimately win the day (in my opinion). I have been at the computer game a long time and am amazed at the quality of the software produced by the open source commumity for love rather than money.

Still use XP for the kids gaming machine and my wife's academic computer but the end for these is on the horizon. Just wish I could contribute more than i do to the effort.

Joe