NF4 Expert: Upgrade from an SD3700+ to an X2 4200+, What To Do?

Hi all,

I am thinking of going dual core because of the recent price drop. So I'd like to ask a few questions as follow:

1. Will I just be able to replace the SD 3700+ straight away? I think my BIOS is the 2006/04/06 one (I do not remember the exact code).

2. Will I need to reformat the HDD and reinstall the OS? I am kinda lazy:p atm but if it needs be I'll do so.

3. What patches and drivers should I install for the X2 cpu? I kinda remember that I have to install some dual-core enable patche or driver? I do not remeber that it was for the game or universal use of the dual-core feature.

EDIT: 4. I currently use Windows 2000 Pro and have no plan to upgrade to Win XP, will there be any disadvantage of using Windows 2000 Pro?

Thank you very much.

About the OS I'd suggest using WinXP x64.

You can get a 6month free trial of it. It is slightly (but only sightly) less stable then XP but it meanwhile takes advantage of the dual cores properly, giving you really fast boot/shutdown times. The only problem with it really is that it has an added very slight chance to crash a 32bit program but I've been running it for like a month and it's only happened a few times.

Also you get IEx64 with it which runs a lot faster than both IE32bit(regular) and Firefox (though on the downside flash hasn't been coded to function in a 64bit browser yet for some stupid reason).