Sign in to follow this  
noktekniq

can't boot with 2 sticks of ram.

so i removed the ihs for my opteron 170 and i can't seem to be able to boot up the comp with 2 sticks of ram now. before i was using 1gb of ram. now after ihs removal i can only use 512. if i try to put the other stick in. it won't boot. is there a way to fix it?

reseted bios. doesn't seem to work. switched from being on both yellow to orange. doesn't boot. tried to boot with each stick separately. both working fine. but can't boot with both of them in

Hello,

Another user did this and the same thing happened.

CPU could be damaged.

Try passing memtest with individual sticks of RAM in the orange slot closest to your processor. Not just one pass, but leave it on overnight.

Then alternate with the other stick of RAM.

See if there are errors.

You may try a long CMOS reset to see if that would help.

However, my gut instinct is telling me that you broke your processor. The fact that it booted up before and not now is telltale that your processor is broken. If you have a friend, maybe you could do a processor switch to see if your friends processor will work in your computer and conversely.

I really hope you didn't break that processor, the 170 is a prettybuck.

The thing I can think of is that you may have damaged the caps on the processor which are related to the memory controller.

Try passing memtest with individual sticks of RAM in the orange slot closest to your processor. Not just one pass, but leave it on overnight.

Then alternate with the other stick of RAM.

See if there are errors.

You may try a long CMOS reset to see if that would help.

However, my gut instinct is telling me that you broke your processor. The fact that it booted up before and not now is telltale that your processor is broken. If you have a friend, maybe you could do a processor switch to see if your friends processor will work in your computer and conversely.

I really hope you didn't break that processor, the 170 is a prettybuck.

The thing I can think of is that you may have damaged the caps on the processor which are related to the memory controller.

if i damage them how come i can sue the computer perfectly fine but just with one stick of ram? i don't get that. the thing is i'm running the comp right now with one stick of ram. and it seems to be perfectly fine but not enough ram for the computer. i'm running at oc-ed speed right now too. seems liek call the pcb's are fine without any damages showing. none of them are cracked

Because you damaged your memory controller. The memory controller is getting overloaded with 2 sticks of RAM.

Even a fully functional memory controller has difficulty running 4 sticks of RAM yet runs 2 sticks perfectly.

Your crippled memory controller runs 1 stick fine, but the second stick overloads it.

Have you tried going back to optimized defaults for everything? Make sure you have stock speeds for you RAM and MANUALLY input the timings.

Because you damaged your memory controller. The memory controller is getting overloaded with 2 sticks of RAM.

Even a fully functional memory controller has difficulty running 4 sticks of RAM yet runs 2 sticks perfectly.

Your crippled memory controller runs 1 stick fine, but the second stick overloads it.

Have you tried going back to optimized defaults for everything? Make sure you have stock speeds for you RAM and MANUALLY input the timings.

oh here's the other thing ni found out. if i use one stick of ram on the yellow slot or the orange slot farthest from the cpu it will work. but if i move 1 stick of ram from the farthest slot to the either one of the inner slots it won't boot.

i geuss this nis called the coldboot bug.

I don't think its called the coldboot bug. The coldboot bug is when you shut down your computer "cold" like pressing and holding down the PSU, and then upon bootup. The computer has difficulty booting.

However, that issue is most significant on the Experts, it doesn't usually occur on other mobos.

Try different configurations, like all yellow, or all orange, etc. Play with the different configurations to see if you can get one configuration to boot. Also, try memtest with the different sticks.