Sign in to follow this  
Grimmwor

Help...installed new FX-60 cpu and now windows won't load

If you wouldn't mind checking, would you see if there is a boot virus protection option in your bios and if so, whether or not you have it enabled?

BAAAAH!

I just cleaned everything up and I've got to hit the road. Maybe someone else can drop into the BIOS and verify. If it's in there I must always ignore it.

No, there isn't one!

@Grimmwor - Where did you buy the cpu from? Is there any way you can get/borrow another dual core cpu - can be anything, doesnt have to be a FX-60?

I bought it from NewEgg. I just moved to Texas and don't know anyone here, so I can't borrow a dual core cpu from anyone for testing purposes. I have an FX-60 and an FX-55.

Try one thing when u get back home this evening. Try disabling APIC mode in the bios and then install XP32. See if that works.

I actually managed to get xp32 working provided I do this, when windows promppts to press F6 to load additional 3rd party drivers, I press F5 and select only ACPI and not ACPI Multiprocessor PC, then windows works without a problem. However the moment ACPI Multiprocessor PC is selected during install, it starts giving this problem.

1) Selecting only ACPI will result in windows showing only one core and not both the cores. I wouldnt recommend doing this for a day to day use. Just so if you want to recover your data back.

2) Not sure about the APIC mode, as I read about it just now somewhere else. I will have to try it myself to see what kind of impact it has on windows performance.

I already have a full, stable image of all of my data. My main focus right now is just being able to either restore my backup to my system with the new FX-60 cpu or do a fresh clean install with new FX-60 without having any problems.

I already have a full, stable image of all of my data. My main focus right now is just being able to either restore my backup to my system with the new FX-60 cpu or do a fresh clean install with new FX-60 without having any problems. When I restore the data with the new CPU, it recognizes the FX-60 Dual Core Processor during POST and then loads windows just fine. Then windows detects a new device (the cpu) and updates Device Manager ->Computer with ACPI Multiprocessor PC. Then prompts me to restart. When I restart it stops loading about 80% of the way through the windows boot screen and then restarts...

When I try deleting all of the partitions on my raid array and then creating a new partition and installing windows on the new partition, everything goes fine until the first time that newly installed windows is about to load (after the third reboot in the install process)...then it does the same thing, stops loading at about 80% of the way through the windows boot screen and then restarts...over and over again.

I am going to try some of ExRoadies suggestions tonight and I might try playing with the ACPI setting, but if disabling ACPI is going to prevent windows from recognizing the dual-core cpu then that is not an option for me. I thought ACPI was just for power management?

I know for a fact that at least one of my printers doesn't have drivers for xp x64 (I was checking it out today), but it looks like I am good to go with chipset and video drivers. I have alot of hardware and software (especially games), and I guess I just worry about compatibility and performance issues. I have entered a new stage in my life and I just don't have the time for tinkering and dinking around with my computer that I used to. I just want it to work.

I swear, I am about to just get rid of the damned thing and get a playstation or nintendo or something...

I am going to Fry's today to look at motherboards. I may pick up a motherboard. And I may even pick up a copy of Windows XP Pro x64. I am still thinking about it...

I would love to just install x64 and fix this problem, but I am afraid that I will be left with a whole host of new problems in it's place...

Switched to an ASUS A8N32-SLI and everything works fine now. I don't know...

I was an ASUS fanboy for a long, long time. And then I switched to DFI becuase I thought I was one of the cool kids. But now I think I am just not worthy...back to ASUS for me.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

are u installing the OS on sata HDD?

i got the same problem and solved like this:

plug HDD #1 (your C drive) onto SATA 3 channel (not on SATA 1)

fresh install of OS. it will ends correctly. (make sure to press F6 and load the drivers for NF4 Raid ...)

after that, plug the second HDD.

if wanna use the raid....well i cannot help, but usually the problems are due to the channel you plug the HDD in....and this ends with the MUP.sys problems (actually it is not able to load the drivers form the floppy).