Sign in to follow this  
Grimmwor

Help...installed new FX-60 cpu and now windows won't load

Well, I have the luxury of at least three rigs at the house plus a couple of external hard drive enclosures. I simply copy everything to other rigs and the drives. I keep at least one 300GB drive at the office in case of a catastrophe.

When I build a new rig, it isn't ready for everyday use for several weeks so I have plenty of time to install and configure my regular apps while I use another rig for everyday stuff.

I've had this AM2 nVidia 590 rig for over a month and haven't completed the setup with benchmarking and testing still going on.

Plus, the fishing has been good so that causes delays. LOL

Update! Went back home and flashed all the bios available for the expert one by one with a cmos clear before and after the flash and installed xp32 on stock settings. No go! Same problems every time.

Im positive I had an issue like this when i went from a 3500+ winnie to my opty 165. I thought id toasted something in the process. It would boot once into Windows, then consistently reboot or not boot into Windows at all.

In all honesty I cant remember how I managed to fix it. I think i upgraded from 2x512 to 2x1gb RAM and flashed the bios to 623-x? This was back in March ish time though.

System is now pretty solid save a few issues. All specs in sig.

Same here. I did the long CMOS clear and did a fresh install of windows xp and still had the same problem. Windows installs all the way then on reboot it gets to the boot screen, loads for a couple seconds, the restarts. If I try to load windows in safe mode, the last file that loads is mup.sys.

This really sucks.

TBH, it makes hardly any difference for me since I am now running XP x64 and I have all my hardware running fine except for my printer. Don't know when those bastards are going to release the drivers for my printer.

On a sidenote, what programs are recommended for stability checking with the x64 xp version?

Big Poppa,

Did you by chance try the Opty 165 on your ASUS board? If so, did you have the same problem? I am wondering if it's some kind of bios problem. I just can't help but feel like I am doing something wrong becuase I know so many people have done the same upgrade that I am trying to do without any problems...it's sooo frustrating!

Its not really a big issue. I always wanted and excuse to move over to xp x64 and this was the right oppurtunity. I have absolutely zero problems with x64 right now and a lot of my apps/programs are working almost as good if not better with 64bit windows. I have been tinkering around with this BS since last wednesday and I am just tired of it.

I am just going to continue using x64 for now till the time maybe a newer BIOS is released for the Expert somewhere in the future.

The reason I am asking is becuase I still have not resolved my problem tyring to install windows (or restore my backup) with my DFI NF4 Ultra-D board with a FX-60. I have tried 3 different bios's and I am not having any luck and at this point I just want to get my pc back online.

So I am considering 1) installing xp x64 or 2) trying an ASUS motherboard, probably an A8N-E or an A8N-SLI Premium. If I knew that you didn't have 'the problem' with your Opty 165 on your ASUS motherboard, I think I would prefer that option over using xp x64...

If you have a spare hard drive, I would recommend installing xp64 on it and then salvage all your backups and stuff from the xp32 partition. Its not that I cant switch the opty 165 to the Asus, but its going to be a royal PITA to do it.

I am still using an older bios version on the Asus for the simple reason that this is the only bios that lets me go over 300htt. All other bios limit me to within 300htt. So I will have to flash my Asus to a newer bios for it to recognize the 165 correctly and then flash back to 1005 again

@Grimmwor

Any BIOS including the 062305 and later will support the Dual Core processors.

I only had one call this morning so I spent four hours swapping single and dual cores between three different DFI nF4 boards at the office.

I put the 062305 BIOS on two of the boards and had no problems swapping the processors with the OS still running OK.

With the 704-2BT BIOS installed, I was able to swap both the processors and the drives with XP Pro installed.

I didn't have a single error during this entire adventure.

Since you have the two Raptors in a RAID array, I'm thinking there's something amiss with the data on the array causing the problem.

I would try an OS install on a single drive, install the nVidia drivers for RAID support, then enable the array so you can get your data off of it.

Before you try to install XP on the array again you really should break and rebuild the array with a complete wipe.

ExRoadie,

Thanks so much, your dedication and support is admirable and I sincerely appreciate it. I did try a fresh install of WinXP, but I did not try breaking and rebuilding the raid array, so I will try that first thing when I get home. Someone on another forum recommended that I try disabling boot virus protection in my BIOS. I don't recall seeing that option in my bios, but I at work right now so I can't double check. If you wouldn't mind checking, would you see if there is a boot virus protection option in your bios and if so, whether or not you have it enabled?

If neither of these approaches produces positive results, I will try a fresh install on a single, non-raid drive. I have also read in some forums with people having this mup.sys problem that USB drivers can be a source of the problem. I might try picking up PS/2 keyboard and mouse at Fry's on my way home and removing all my USB devices (e.g. internal USB flash card reader, PCI USB adaptor, etc) and see if that helps.

I will update the forum when I have some results. Once again, my sincere thanks for all of your work at trying to help me out.