Sign in to follow this  
Grimmwor

Help...installed new FX-60 cpu and now windows won't load

Hi,

I just installed a new FX-60 cpu (upgraded from an FX-55) and now windows won't load!

Let me start by explaining what I have done and what has happened so far

1. I did a full back up using Acronis True Image 9.0

2. I updated the bios before I installed the new CPU. I used TMOD's 7.0 cd and I flashed the bios with OCZ Tony's nF4 0406BTA (modded 04/06/2006 bios) bios.

3. I shut down the computer and installed the new cpu.

4. Started pc up and got into bios and made some minor tweaks (no overclocking or any extreme settings...)

5. Rebooted.

6. Windows loaded just fine the first time, but it detected the new cpu and automatically updated the devices with ACPI Multiprocessor PC entry under Devide Manager (I presume cpu drivers were updated). After this update was complete I was prompted to reboot and did.

7. BIOS loaded just fine and everything started normally without errors up until windows started loading and then it just reboots. The second and consecutive times after that rebooting there is a message indicating the windows didn't start normally and that it was probably becuase of a hardware or software change and prompts me to select the methods to load windows (e.g. start windows normally, safe mode, safe mode (no networking), etc. I tried all of those options and nothing would get me into windows (including last know safe configuration).

8. Restarted backup using Acronis.

9. this time windows loaded. Again it automatically started installing a new device (ACPI Multiprocessor devide drivers) and when it was done prompted me to reboot.

10. After rebooting once again windows would not restart.

AAARRRGHHH!

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

If you can get into your bios, go to where you can enable and disable Raid. Everytime i flash my bios, it disables my Raid. I have to enable raid, then enable raid on both my drives.

Good call but that is not the problem. I did go through and update settings to my newly flashed bios that are specific to my system (including enabling raid and making sure that the raid array is first on the hard disk boot order list).

Any other ideas?

I am not sure that the drivers were installed automatically. I believe that I would go to AMD's website and check for new drivers.

Since you are able to communicate, I presume that you are able to accomplish that task. Then, boot to your CD-ROM, load the drivers and reboot.

Note: The one thing that I can see that you did not describe in you scenario is, "clearing the CMOS". This is an important step in upgrading your CPU. I would try that before anything else I suggested.

This is an odd one since I've changed processors many times without an error.

Since the OS seems to be giving you the trouble, I would try a clean OS install to see if that gets you over the hump.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did in fact clear the CMOS, I just didn't include that detail in my initial post. Right now I am restoring my Acronis image again...it take a few hours. I am afraid I am going to have to re-install windows. Curses!

I also have upgraded cpu's many times and have never had a problem like this, so I am miffed. I can only assume that it is becuase it's a dual core, but from what I have read, this should be an easy upgrade.

Well, if anyone else can think of anything or has had similar experience, please let me know. I probably won't have time to tackle reinstalling windows for a couple days...

Classic MUP.sys problem. Do a search for mup.sys problems on google and you will see what I am talking about. If you load windows in safe mode then you will see that it hangs after loading mup.sys. The next driver to be loaded after this is crcdisk.sys.

A clean install is still not going to solve the problem. Anytime you select a ACPI Multiprocessor PC, you gonna end up getting the same problem.

I have come across this problem before. Clearing CMOS is not gonna work. This is only a xp32 problem. This is xp32's incomptability with the bios.

This is xp32's incomptability with the bios.

Where in the world did that come from? I'm sure there are several other forum members that want to see some detailed documentation on this "incompatibility".

The system was running XP until he changed the processor to a Dual Core.

A repair install or a clean install has resolved this issue many times.

I prefer a clean install over a repair since I rebuild my OS every six months or so anyway.

I am speaking from experience. I had the same problem when I upgraded my cpu to an opty 165 from a 146 2 days back. I installed xp32 over 10 times used 10 different configurations every time. The only time XP32 would boot properly after the first install would be when ACPI multiprocesser PC is not selected using the F5 option during installation. I have read quite a few forum threads and posts on this particular problem including some M$ suggestions for resolving this problem. None have worked so far.

I am currently running windows xp x64 which does not seem to have this problem. Also this problem is related to windows XP SP2 only. I am not saying all people are having this problem. Also not all the people having this problem seem to have it CPU related. Each one has a different case.

I know what I am talking about. If I didn't I wouldn't be posting over here.

Guys, I am reinstalling windows now. I will let you know how it goes...

I am confident that it will resolve the problem. I know there are other people that have the same hardware/software as me that have successfully used a dual-care cpu...thousands of them.

Thanks!

Well big poppa pump, you guess you were right :-(

Reinstalling windows did not work...still having same symptons. And, like you suggested, i did try installing in Safe Mode and sure enough it was when loading mup.sys that it hung. What a kick in the butt. Well, I guess I better go ready about mup.sys...

Anyone else know anything about this? I am having trouble with a new FX-60 cpu...