BSOD's and other issues: running out of options

Use TMOD's BIOS flash CD. See the thread titled "Bios Factory" here at the Street for instructions on downloading the file and creating a bootable CD.

His utility is about as fool proof as they come.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One week later now, and I haven't had troubles anymore. I did not flash the bios and I have not changed any settings after my last post here. I'm happy to not have anymore troubles, but at the same time I'm not happy since I don't know what caused the troubles. So, if the issues might come back and I don't know what to do then. But for now I'm just happy. Thanks to everybody who pesponded!

Well, at a minimum I'm glad to hear that your rig is running stable. Have you put it through the full ringer of Memtest and Prime95 torture testing to make sure it is totally stable?

p.s. one other thing, if the problem resurfaces it would be handy for you to update you sig. we have no idea what BIOS your currently running nor what power supply you're currently running. And surely you have at least one hard drive and one optical drive running, so it would be handy to include those in your sig. as well.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

Last few days I have nonstop 0x0000007E BSoD's during startup. I'm about to flash de bios to a newer version. 0704-2bta is a good one? Even though it's a beta bios? I'm not familiar with flashing, I downloaded Tmods CD7.0. When I boot with this cd, everything will show it self?

From this screen, I should select the first option? But I have no OCZ memory. Which one should I select?

Btw, manga is my brother, obviously I posted under his account. Sorry for that.

The 0704-2bta is a great BIOS. But no BIOS is going to save you unless you set your clocks back to stock and start overclocking from there using the A64 DFI overclocking guide. Hate to sound harsh but you say you're getting BSOD's left and right but you've got your 165 Opty running at 2.8ghz and 1.39 vcore and your memory is running above stock clocks too. Now I know for a fact that the HZ sticks are capable of between 260 and 270mhz for the most part, but you've got to go back and establish the max clock for your cpu independent of your memory. Then you need to establish the max clock of your memory independent of your cpu.

It's all explained in the OC guide. Read it, and read it again. Follow the directions, running Memtest and Prime95 at each step. Once you can pass them both your BSOD's will disappear (of course after you format and reinstall Windows - your OS is surely quite the mess now).

I know how the overclocking works, i'm not new in that business. First I found the max of the cpu, then the max of my mem. Tested thoroughly with Prime and memtest. And as I said before in this thread, when I changed back to stock settings the problems wouldn't go away.

I know my mem is capable of 264MHz 3-4-4-8 and no MHz higher then that.

Edit: I just updated the bios to 704-2bta. Now, let's see what this does.

So far I got less BSoD's. Occasionally there's the same BSoD (0x0000007E), but far less then before. Still I'm going tot try to get a cheap PCI videocard to rule out de PSU.

Does booting (cold boot) requires more from a PSU then running already in Windows?