Best possible Speakers maby a home theatere system?

Smoken Joe

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple thoughts:

If you're interested in musicality, check out the Creative S700 or S750 (same systems, the S750 just has 2 extra satellites), they're arguable the best computer satellites available.

Personally, I've been running a Klipsch Ultra setup with a couple of Boston Acoustics CR-67 bookshelves hooked up for the front two speakers. I've been extremely impressed by the BA speakers, I'd recommend checking them out too if possible.

I've got two receivers, one JVC (120W x 2) and one Pioneer (110W x 6). Personally, I like the sound quality from the Pioneer better. I looked into many different receivers and finally picked the Pioneer out of a handful. It seemed the best 'bang for your buck'

Brands that I'd recommend would be Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo and H/K, with Pioneer being at the lower price end.

Eventually, I'd like to upgrade to a preamp/amp configuration with some high quality towers. But, I've gotta finish paying for college before then.

I'm running my JVC with a pair of BIC bookshelves. They're pretty *#$@ good for how much I paid for them. If you're going for really accurate sound, you'll have to get the crossovers redone, but that's not too bad. They're the ones at the bottom... I run them in a 2.0 setup, because currently, I don't need any added bass. They can get down to 43Hz by themselves. :) Their website should be updated, because the manual that came with mine says they can take up to 175W (recommended amplifier power -- which is kinda hard because they don't say RMS or peak...)

Oh yeah, they've got a 7 (yes...SEVEN) year warranty from date of purchase. I bought mine 2 years ago for about $190 (with shipping). They're down to about $140 a pair now

I'm not even going to say what I've got running with my Pioneer (because they suck and should be destroyed with a hammer) Well, I might as well just say stay away from BIC's RtR series...

If you are getting a receiver, get either Pioneer, Nakamichi or Denon. The rest all suck.

Onkyo is great for reciever too. but of course Denon is the winner, if u combine with some nakamichi speakers :D

Alright lets try this again- back on topic good recevers and recomended components?

Anyone of the brands named above are great, they have great models for all the needs.

I would recommend Onkyo and Denon as the best recievers. Speakers almost every brand have one great model. and of course deppends if u want to pay 50 bucks for 1 pair or 10 000 hehehe.

Well my Kiplich Promedia 5.1 Died as expected. Theough they sound very good the RMA service is intolerable and I wont put up with bad service.

What did they do or not do for the RMA? I have the same speakers and like them a lot.....I hope they don't die on me.

Onkyo is great for reciever too. but of course Denon is the winner, if u combine with some nakamichi speakers :D

Oops! I did forget Onkyo in my list of recommended speakers. Onkyo is not bad either. But from what I have seen and heard, Pioneer gives you the best bang for the buck with absolutely no compromise in quality.

Those Logitech are good options... also some Creative 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 speaker sets are high powered as well.

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, and like the 5.1's I had years ago they are giving me troubles now :mad:

Not sure if its the brand or the high power, but I always have used Creative speakers on my gaming rig from 5.1 to 7.1 and they always did their job. I also had the Logitech Z-680, and besides the central speaker's hiss noise they worked great... the new model 5.1 ones are really good, HUGE woofer box and they have all sort of gadgets, worth checking out :)

Joe...

it all depends on what your looking for and wanting to spend I guess...I have the Altec Lancing 5.1 surround (paid $55.00) and I love it... but... If I want to rock the house I patch my PC into my stereo...I have a cheap TEAC surround reciever (etronics.com) and some cabinets with cheap Pyramid 12" speakers (4ohm)....I have 4 of these hooked to the A-B of the stereo and then I picked up at a garage sale the satalites (5 Pioneer) and hooked them up....all to gether I have $200.00 invested...

On the big speakers I am pushing about 80watts rms and it's loud enough at 1/4 way up to hear real well outside..so thats good for me...

well, here is what i did. i bought the hercules digifire 7.1 card (in my sig) so i could hook my pc up to my receiver via optical cable. i have a kenwood vr-806, not the best but not to bad either. it pumps 100x6 watts. i dont have a complete 5.1 system yet, but im workin on it. i have two JBL northridge e-60 towers as my front pair, and the JBL northridge ec-35 as my center channel. when i get the money, i will finish off the set with two e-30s as my rears and a velodyne dps10 sub. JBL subs arent the best, and velodyne are freakin amazing. amazon actually has the best prices i could find for my speakers. here is a breakdown of what i spent:

hercules digifire 7.1: $75

kenwood vr-806: $200

2x JBL e60: $290

1x JBL ec35: $150

i am a huge JBL fan. polk and klipsch are both really good, but a little more expensive. also, if you do decide to set up your own system as i did, be sure to use high quality speaker cable. the quality of your cable really does make a difference in sound quality. it is worth the investment in my opinion. i use monster cable xp THX select. games take on a whole new level when you can crank the sound on a REAL speaker system.

For receiver...you really NEED to hit up a local store and listen to music through them. The difference in receivers is VERY obvious even when just listening to stereo music. I found that the Pioneer Elite series and Harman/Kardon have the best sound for me - of course this varies from person to person, but honestly the difference between these two and the Onkyo/Denon was rediculously ovious when sitting there. Yamaha was good, I liked them a lot, but it also seemed to have a much 'brighter' sound that I didn't really care for. I did not have a chance to audition any Kenwood receivers (they didn't have any) and even the Sony ES line sounded odd to me.

When looking at receivers, don't worry about wattage or THD for the most part. A number of articles have stated as long as THD <0.1%, it's unhearable...so pretty much all the ones you're looking at will fall into this. For wattage...well you're looking at GOOD brands, so anything even 40 watts on up is fine. My old H/K AVR120 was only 40 watts and it was nice since I could just turn it all the way up during parties and whatnot, anything more would have been too much for my speakers (at the time) anyways.

Also when you look at receivers...take into account how many DSP fields are offered. It seems like a lot any more are giving you like 40 totally worthless soundfields, I tend to just ignore these products outright as I feel they just try to add stuff to make up for crappy watts.

Also check the weight, my 40 watt amp easily pushed 35-40 pounds where the 100 watt Sony weighed 12-15 - obviously something is different here.

If you are patient, you might want to check ebay for used Outlaw Audio or NAD receivers, even Rotel is on there every once in a while, might pick up a good deal.

Now then, for speakers:

http://speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D3/dayton3.htm

I realize you might not be the woodworking type, but even if you have somebody else build the boxes for you these are a fricken steal at ~$80 apiece for materials (depending on costs of MDF in your area). You WON'T need a sub. These honestly have far superior sound than anything most stereo shops sell, easily besting $3000 Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, Infinity, etc. Be careful though, these are 4 ohm speakers, so get that GOOD receiver again. :)

Lots of help on DIY speakers here, and you can find A LOT more designs too. Some of the guys there design fricken AMPS for companies, so some of them are rediculously smart and VERY helpful.

www.diyaudio.com

If you don't want to build your own speakers, I'd look to Paradigm as a good brand.

Anyways...I'd grab a Harman/Kardon AVR-325 if you can find one (theres one on ebay right now for $280) as it has a lot of the higher-end features. There are a couple newer models, but I just don't care for the look of them, they're all equally well built though.

Whatever you get, just listen to it before you buy it, ask if you can audition the Logitechs for no cost.

Make sure any receiver you get has dedicated 7.1 inputs 'cuz you'll need that for most any sound card.