Sign in to follow this  
Leon5465

Just switched to a DFI board...

Check your video card temperatures using something like ATiTool, they might be getting too high. As for Prime95, how long are you letting the test run?

Did you have these problems with stock settings? It's probably best to get the rig stable at stock settings and then slowly increase your overclock and continually check for stability/tweak your settings.

Is prime95 producing rounding errors after the first calculation?

What are your voltages like (from MBM5)? If you want a more accurate reading, you can use a DMM (digital multimeter)

OK new problem, I can start a torture test in Prime95 but it never goes past Test one. The icon stays pink and it keeps using my system resources, and nothing locks up. I also discovered that I can play older games or crank down my graphics on newer games and my computer will play for a lot longer without having problems.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Memtest just made 10 full passes without any errors.

how long have you let prime run exactly?

OK... I swear I will never install another computer part without fully reading the entire manual. I had no idea that there was a floppy power connector by the video cards until I read it in another thread here. I plugged it in and my computer has been screaming :D I'm still glad I ordered the new power supply though because I read a lot of bad things about mine after I had already bought it. I haven't been able to get much past 2.5 ghz so hopefully a good power supply was the missing piece that I needed.

EDIT Nevermind... it just happened again after about 15 minutes of DoD: S. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the "Street".

I have always been one of those anal people who reads all of the manuals before installing anything; peripherals, games, etc. It has paid dividends many times.

So, I am glad that you came to the realization that manuals are there for a reason. Just not to waste paper.

Good luck!

p.s. Did you make sure that your rig is stable at stock settings. It will be impossible to get it stable OC'd if it isn't stable at stock settings.

Ouch...1.2 volts...

That's *far* outta spec. I'd wait until you get that new powerstream. That'd help. A LOT.

...Now whenever I try to play a game it crashes in under 10 minutes. The computer completely locks up for about 15-30 seconds followed by the monitor turning off and saying it's not receiving a signal...

I had this same problem after getting some new RAM about a month and a half ago.

I had every piece of recommended hardware... compatible PSU, everything. I thought it was my video card too but when I put in my old RAM it worked fine again. It turned out to be the RAM in my sig... I clocked it down about 10mhz and it worked fine. It was very frustrating cause the RAM would pass memtest infinitely and pass Prime95 for over 18 hours at stock speeds but it just couldn't do 3D at all... I ended up RMAing the RAM back to OCZ.

I'd consider trying these settings from OCZ if you haven't already http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showpost....971&postcount=3

And if that doesn't work try knocking 10-20mhz off the RAM speed... and if it works after that then RMA that ram.

I think I might have matched it to the wrong temp because now it shows up as 3.31. Prime 95 isn't coming up with any errors, it just stays at test one and uses up all my processing power and memory but it never progresses to test 2. It still fully responds to everything I do so it's not crashing or anything. It just gets stuck... SuperPi, Memtest, and OCCT all run fine so I don't know what to think.

Edit: And yes, all my temps are fine, including my GPU

I had this same problem after getting some new RAM about a month and a half ago.

I had every piece of recommended hardware... compatible PSU, everything. I thought it was my video card too but when I put in my old RAM it worked fine again. It turned out to be the RAM in my sig... I clocked it down about 10mhz and it worked fine. It was very frustrating cause the RAM would pass memtest infinitely and pass Prime95 for over 18 hours at stock speeds but it just couldn't do 3D at all... I ended up RMAing the RAM back to OCZ.

I'd consider trying these settings from OCZ if you haven't already http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showpost....971&postcount=3

And if that doesn't work try knocking 10-20mhz off the RAM speed... and if it works after that then RMA that ram.

I tried with my memory on a 1:2 divider and it still wouldn't work