Karajan audio module vs Audigy 2

I was wondering how the sound quality of the Carajun audio module compared with a sound card like the Audigy 2. I am trying to decide whether it is worth it to upgrade sound.

Thanks for the help.

The onboard sound is just a codec.

Using software (the drivers) it creates a virtual sound card (software sound card), therefore it uses your CPU.

Everything is software dependant.

You cannot compare it to any external sound card, it simply cannot compete.

Any external sound card with a true hardware based sound chip is going to be a million times better.

AC'97 is simply a specification for sound provision and compatibility much like the new Intel Hi-Fidelity sound.

In fact, the Karajan audio module moves the audio hardware off the motherboard for better isolation from the noise generated by every motherboard.

The onboard audio hardware is a Realtek ALC850 processor. On nF4 boards, the nVidia drivers provide the software needed for it to operate if you don't use the Realtek software.

The ALC850 is a complete audio processor but it uses the computer CPU to provide the Digital Signal Processing.

Originally, the Karajan module was to be the next step in the nVidia SoundStorm audio series but nVidia dropped support when Creative announced the Audigy 2ZS series.

It's really a shame because as the nF2 series proved, SoundStorm with Dolby Digital processing showed promise and the Karajan modules have been proven to be the quietest onboard sound solution ever developed.

Ha Ha ...... Whoops!

I guess I should go back into my Battlefield 2 Options and select 'Software' for Audio, and not my currently set 'Hardware'. This could be a reason for a few of my crashes, rather than the dreaded 'Dual Core' problem ......... Doh!

Though I have always assumed add-on soundcards were superior to onboard ones, I thought the onboard ones had cheap sound chips and AC97 was an audio standard.

You learn something new everyday. (nice sound though)

Guest Timmay

I have an Audigy 2ZS and it pummels the hell out of my onboard audio, my GF has a Sound Blaster Live 7.1 and that kills the AC97 also IMHO.

I'm using the Karajan right now and it's not terrible but it's not great.

You can def. hear the difference in the audio from the audigy and it doesn't run my surround properly (right channels are 30% louder or so, could probably set up compensations for it but still).

There's a tiny bit of static and just not very good sound reproduction - for onboard it's pretty good, but when it comes down to it that's not saying much, as soon as I get around to it I'm throwing in my audigy2 from my old system, just been to lazy to bother switching out the drivers.