Sign in to follow this  
fanny

Evercool VC-RE Chipset Cooler

My new NF4 SLI-DR compy was getting 46-47C on chipset temp and the screaming fan was annoying as hell so I popped for the Evercool cooler from Happy_Games link.

During the change I found the stock fan appears to have a far to thick shim (gasket if you will) under it which didnt allow the stock fan to fully set against the chip core by a full 1/64", the thermal compund showed a almost imperceptable imprint of the NB core!!!.

I installed the VC-RE using AS-5 (after a good surface cleaning with acetone) and now get 39-40C temps under the same conditions.

Happy_Games, thanks for the link, real nice cooler and great service from the e-tailer.

:cool: :cool:

have one myself, its awesome -- have to admit i picked mine up on ebay for about $6 shipped :(

That's what my stock chipset fan now sounds like now...a chain saw. Started about a week ago. Mobo is only 8 months old :(

Have a VC-RF on the way (newegg doesn't stock the VC-RE)

Not too bummed about the fan dying. Minor expense to fix. What bums me out is having to tear the box to parade rest and pull the mobo off the tray to replace it.

(sigh)

Mine should be on the way soon. Pre ordered from the only UK supplier (as pointed out by one of our very own DFI Street members!) Should ship between now and the 30th.

Better prep the cotton bud, alcohol and AS5 :)