Nvidia Or Ati?

SuperdogBYC

im thinking about upgrading my card. im a little strapped for cash, my budget is below $300. was thinkin abt fx 5800 and 5900 (non ultra versions) and also radeon 9700 and 9800 (non pro versions). i read a lot of mixed reviews on these cards so i cannot decide. i need to know which brands are good, like sapphire, asus, leadtek etc. also, im kinda unsure about ram speeds, like 2.2 ns and 3.3ns, dont know wat they mean. im good with OCing cpus and stuff but i dont know nuthin abt graphics cards.

well, i would wait till beginning of next year to be honest. There are lots of release plans comming up and to buy a card right now isnt the best choice since pricing should drop when release comes. Right now, ATI is on top of Nvidia, so if you are going to get a card RIGHT now, get like a 9800 Non-pro. If you are willing to wait, the Nvidia 5950 is about equal to the 9800XT, so nvidia isnt slipping too far behind.

Like i said, wait and see what happens ;)

destiny, i would wait, but even wen the new cards come out, the prices with be XXXXX like the 9800xt rite now is like $499 or smthing.

overclocker16, yeah a few ppl have told me that, im kinda unsure abt the brands tho, should i get ati, sapphire or wat? also, wats the deal with red cards, black cards and wat not? is there a diff performance and OCing wise?

Edited by SuperdogBYC

ait got it, so i take it since the 9800 non pro has 8 pipelines already it doesnt really matter rite?

oh ye one more thing, wats this abt flashing it to a 9800 pro and omega drivers and stuff? im totally confused

Edited by SuperdogBYC

The red pcb with ram chips in L shape on the 9500 np would softmod to a 9700 np.  (Which is just a 9500 with 8 pipelines).

Black are the newer ones with RAM chips in straight line on top only softmod to 9500 Pro.

Wrong. I have a black PCB with RAM in an L shape around the GPU, and I have softmodded it into a 9700 and it works. Also, I have seen red PCB 9500s with RAM in a straight line above the CPU.

PCB color DOES NOT MATTER. It's all about the RAM shape.

Trios

Edited by Trios

ait cool, thanx alot, i just have 1 more question. how do u get to dos on win 2k pro? as we all know i need to get there to flash the bios but win 2k pro doesnt have a dos prompt. i went to bootdisk.com and they had 4 disks under win 2k pro, which one do i use?