Sign in to follow this  
gotchya

RAID troubles among others on cfx3200

I have had several troubles so far with my CFX3200.

First Problem: I'm not sure if it is the bios settings or the drivers, but something keeps happening with my RAID setup. I had my 74gb raptor and my 320gb seagate sucessfully in a RAID5 setup just the other day, but when I updated windows (Not SP2), I couldn't even see my 320gb drive (Windows is installed on the raptor drive). The wierd part is, I can see it when the computer is booting up, but it dissappears when I get into windows (xp pro).

Second Problem: Overclocking. I am trying to up my Opty 165 which is being cooled my a Zalman 9500. Now, I am new to overclocking and all that, but everytime I up the fsb clock, the computer won't post. I change the DRAM settings so that it is on pc3200 1:1 and then I change the fsb value. When I restart, the computer won't post. I am not sure if this is an error on my part or what. Also, I was wondering if there are any desktop overclocking programs that you guys would reccomend.

Third Problem: This isn't a "problem" per se, but something I am not sure on. I am running a x1900 crossfire setup and I have no idea if it is actually running crossfire or not :( . I have no other way of knowing if it is besides the box checked off in CCC, which I cannot stand.

Thanks in advance:)

EDIT: Also, when windows is loading the desktop, the screen goes black for about a half second and the mouse goes to the middle of the screen no matter what. It freezes there for another half second then windows finishes booting up. I don't think this has anything to do with the hardware, but if anyone could help, it would be appreciated.

when you're upping the fsb and you keep your ram on 1:1 it means that you're ram will also be overclocked that much, so 250 fsb, ram 1:1 means DDR500

When you turn up the fsb, theres a number of other things that you also need to do, like changing the drive strength etc (i can't remember off the top of my head everything) but check other threads for OCZ Tony's bios. You can't expect to just up the fsb and change nothing else.

Also, this forum requires that u keep your system specs in your signature. Click UserCP now and put it there before u get banned for a week like what happened to me a month ago :(

also, your "problem" with the windows loading and going black for a second could be graphics drivers. My old comp with an x800 does that whenever Catalyst CC loads the first time. I personally hate the CCC, for my comp now I just use ATI drivers without catalyst. It works much better imo.

Alright, I am all set with the overclocking for now. I still need to fiddle around with the BIOS settings to get everything the way I like it.

BUT, now I have yet another problem :sad: ...The thing won't even post. I reset CMOS via the jumper and that didn't do anything either. I think it may be the overclock settings I had put before, but wouldn't the reset have fixed that?

Can I still have CrossFire enabled without CCC running? I would definitely like that if it is possible.

I'm new to all this, so any help would be appreciated.

I had my 74gb raptor and my 320gb seagate sucessfully in a RAID5 setup

Umm maybe I'm wrong but I don't think I am, but for raid 5 you need a minimum of 3 hard drives. Do you mean raid 0? Also, that is a huge loss of space pairing a 74 gig and a 320 gig drive.

If I'm completely wrong could someone educate me here.

I'm not understanding your raid problem. What do you see in Disk Management? A screen shot would help.

Umm, well right now, I can't even get into BIOS. The machine won't even post now. I have reset CMOS, removed the battery for 5 min, used 1 stick of RAM (in every slot), and plugged in only the mobo power connectors. Nothing has worked as of yet.