Artic silver

cym

According to this review it seems as though AS5 does not perform as well as the MX-1 compound that comes stock...Other reviews state that the temp difference when using MX-1 vs. AS5 is very small but it could be another reason for the higher temps...

Heres a link: http://www.systemcooling.com/arcticcooling_64pro-04.html

I can confirm these results by what I experienced with my own rig (a 165) running the AC Freezer 64 Pro HSF with BOTH AS5 and Arctic Ceramique....

...in an interesting twist of fate, the AS Ceramique won out by a clear margin. Yes, I believe the difference to be the result of the really poorly lapped surface of the Freezer Pro HSF... not only is it not a mirror, there are really defined machining ridges on the bottom of ALL of them. (This is one reason WHY they are cheaper than some similar designs from other manufacturers, less machining)

In theory, Arctic Ceramique has several different sizes of particulate in the paste... with a bigger difference in particle size than AS5... between that and the heavier base, it stays up in the BIGGER peaks on the HSF over time, when AS5 keeps somewhat liquid in use for a long time, and thus the Ceramique (or various other TIM compounds) do better in this case than AS5.

If you lap the Freezer Pro? Use AS5, not the stock paste.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah , have to agree spent a couple of arvo's lapping the base of my artic Cooler pro and it certainly made a big difference to the temps(dropped by about 7*-I forget how to make the degree symbol-old age)

You really don't know how rough it really is until you start lapping, but at least its flat.

***UPDATE***

I put a temperature probe over the core of the cpu between the processor and the heatsink which obviously affected cooling as the system was reporting temps of 70 degrees whereas the temperature probe display was showing 55 degrees (15 degrees lower).

could it be possible that the motherboard was reading the temps correctly for my old venice, but is now reading the opty temps 15 degrees out?

this would mean my load temps were around 48 degrees. this to me seems likely as the heatsink is only warm to the touch, certainly nowhere near the stated operating temperature of my cpu.