Sign in to follow this  
likewhoa

EVGA 7900 series cards artifact/bsod fix?

That's an interesting note about raising the PCIe bus to 120. Previously, I had read an article that nVidia was teaming with Corsair to create set points on Corsair's DDR2 memory for the 5xx chipset (AM2). Supposedly nVid wants to give some type of auto overclocking. The article mentioned that in an auto overclocked situation, the PCIe bus was to be raised to 120-125 MHz or about 20-25%. nVid stated in tha article that it was not viewed as overclocking the bus, but raising the bus to accommodate higher bandwidth of the overclocked state.

Whelp, I put my machine together, ran it at stock clocks with my PCIe bus at 100. My vid card is factory overclocked at 500/1500. Eevrything was smooth running resolutions at 1600x1200. However, becasue of the lower cpu cycles, I could not use a lot of AA or AF. I overclock my cpu to 11x250, get my RAM tweaked and now BF2 starts hitching. I scratch my head and start playing around with the PCIe bus. I raise it from 100 - 120, incremently 5 MHz jumps, and all the hitching goes away. Everything is very smooth again.

There is something to raising the PCIe bus. nVidia even raises the PCIe bus in their auto overclock scheme for the 5xx AM2 chipset!

Now my 7900GT KO has never artifacted as described by some people. The card has run fine since I got it in June, however, I don't run a lot of 3D benchmarks.

That's an interesting note about raising the PCIe bus to 120. Previously, I had read an article that nVidia was teaming with Corsair to create set points on Corsair's DDR2 memory for the 5xx chipset (AM2). Supposedly nVid wants to give some type of auto overclocking. The article mentioned that in an auto overclocked situation, the PCIe bus was to be raised to 120-125 MHz or about 20-25%. nVid stated in tha article that it was not viewed as overclocking the bus, but raising the bus to accommodate higher bandwidth of the overclocked state.

Whelp, I put my machine together, ran it at stock clocks with my PCIe bus at 100. My vid card is factory overclocked at 500/1500. Eevrything was smooth running resolutions at 1600x1200. However, becasue of the lower cpu cycles, I could not use a lot of AA or AF. I overclock my cpu to 11x250, get my RAM tweaked and now BF2 starts hitching. I scratch my head and start playing around with the PCIe bus. I raise it from 100 - 120, incremently 5 MHz jumps, and all the hitching goes away. Everything is very smooth again.

There is something to raising the PCIe bus. nVidia even raises the PCIe bus in their auto overclock scheme for the 5xx AM2 chipset!

Now my 7900GT KO has never artifacted as described by some people. The card has run fine since I got it in June, however, I don't run a lot of 3D benchmarks.

umm very interesting.. do you have the link to this article? I RMA my card eitherway to see what these new part number with the:

* New AVL Memory (Approved Vendor List)

* RoHS compliant

* Test results are extremely positive

changes from my 512-P2-N570-AR to this new 512-P2-N571-AX.

I heard some people talk about PCIe Frequency Increment corrupting the SATA Drives but I believe that's TOTAL BS, as you stated Nvidia Raises the PCIe Frequency with OCs.. Anyways,. find that article url so we can all see it.

P.S on ASUS Boards when overclocking and setting the PCIe Frequency on manual,.. their PCIe Frequency is set at 200Mhz FYI. so anything between 100-200Mhz seems safe.

bummer.......... the stuff came back, dude...... lol

i tried 100, 110, 120, 130....... Deep freeze still screws up.... the heavy artifact thingie... and crashed...... the good news is, so far i played BF2 on a few hours and all is ok....it doesnt crash at that game and im all good....

altho its nice to have a fix that can let me get through 3dmark06's :)

RMA it ;)

I did, but still have not put the card on :D

will post updates later this week.

do you have the link to this article?

I read it in lat months Maximum PC. It was a short article on the 5xx chipset. Now easy guys.........I know how some you feel about that magazine.........

The bottom line to increasing the PCIe bus MHz, is that it brings stability to the system. Most of the 7900 cards are factory overclocked. Even on my NF3 board, I raised the AGP bus a bit to bring stability to my self overclocked 6800 GT.

Well I've heard from a couple of people about PCIe overclocks fux0ring up your SATA drives, but I have yea to experience that and have not seen this in writing anywhere but anyone important.

Eitherway, If your new 7900 Series Card is giving you issues with artifacts,bsod,freezes,flashing,tearing I would just

return it and get a replacement card with EVGA _not_ where ever you bought the card from. I hope my RMA card that I just recently got performs well under load and not give me any problems as my original one did.

good job EVGA for a fast RMA turn around :)

P.S I would really like to see that Maximum PC article as I don't buy their mag but anything with Nvidia speaking is something good to read about.

RMA it ;)

I did, but still have not put the card on :D

will post updates later this week.

i'd luv to do that, but i have the KO SC, and they dont have any ROHS compliant replacements for the KO/CO SC, except a few odd people that receive N567-A1/B1.... i'll wait until evga released the ROHS +new memory for the KO SC, then i'll rma... i dont wanna waste money sending the card just to get another faulty card.. (im in canada...;) )

i'd luv to do that, but i have the KO SC, and they dont have any ROHS compliant replacements for the KO/CO SC, except a few odd people that receive N567-A1/B1.... i'll wait until evga released the ROHS +new memory for the KO SC, then i'll rma... i dont wanna waste money sending the card just to get another faulty card.. (im in canada...;) )

same here bro, lets wait. I'm still waiting for mine, RMA approved July 3, figure out urself. Almost a month no email whatsoever, no phone call, nothing. I called in today, wasn't very happy with the answer given, apparently after entering an RMA number, automated saying, ur card to be shipped in 1 biz day. The agent on the phone says, they are still testing the damn cards, end of week. Damn

IT just makes me think to get 2 x1800XT's or 1900XT.

Thanks, and lets wait lol :P, oh yeah where in Canada do you live beaver, please to meet ya. ;)

it says on my sig... but basically half n hour from kitchener, which is about 1.5hr from Toronto.... i used to live there but the job took me away.......:)

still waiting too..i havent rma mine...i keep an eye for evga forum tho' ;) i'll post if they got any update

do you have the link to this article?

No, but here's an excerpt from the magazine.

MAXIMUMPC, August 2006 issue, “AM2 Has Landed”

"Semi-Automatic Kinda-Sorta Overclocking

nVidia says the "LinkBoost" feature of the nForce 590 SLI chipset is not overclock*ing, but if you plug a 7900 GTX card into a 590 board, the chipset will clock the PCI Express bus 25 percent higher to increase the bandwidth to the videocards. Note that we said "PCI Express bus" not the actual GPU. That means the bandwidth to the videocard goes up 25 percent, so how much actual performance difference you see will depend on the application. Why isn't this overclocking? nVidia says it has prequalified all 7900 GTX parts to run at the higher speeds, so you're not going beyond spec, you're just, er, getting the most from your card."

I found it an interesting quip that seemed to pan out in my specific circumstance. I raised the PCIe bus independently of this post, keeping that article quote in the back of my mind. I found it interesting that one poster seemed to indicate that EVGA personnel (?, maybe not) had suggested increasing the bus to 120 MHz.

No, but here's an excerpt from the magazine.

MAXIMUMPC, August 2006 issue, “AM2 Has Landed”

"Semi-Automatic Kinda-Sorta Overclocking

nVidia says the "LinkBoost" feature of the nForce 590 SLI chipset is not overclock*ing, but if you plug a 7900 GTX card into a 590 board, the chipset will clock the PCI Express bus 25 percent higher to increase the bandwidth to the videocards. Note that we said "PCI Express bus" not the actual GPU. That means the bandwidth to the videocard goes up 25 percent, so how much actual performance difference you see will depend on the application. Why isn't this overclocking? nVidia says it has prequalified all 7900 GTX parts to run at the higher speeds, so you're not going beyond spec, you're just, er, getting the most from your card."

I found it an interesting quip that seemed to pan out in my specific circumstance. I raised the PCIe bus independently of this post, keeping that article quote in the back of my mind. I found it interesting that one poster seemed to indicate that EVGA personnel (?, maybe not) had suggested increasing the bus to 120 MHz.

I talked to EVGA personnel and the two different people I spoke to on different days, had little to say and no explanation into why and what side effects the increased PCIe Frequency might bring to it's board's performance.

They both just kind of at why was it that my board started to work because of it after I had explained about the various problems with it as other people experienced themselfs.. But, this PCIe Frequency increase didn't work for all and only for a short time for some.. I just hope this new card which has worked good so far but it's still to early to say it's totally stable at stock speeds, because problems could just start happening after a week or so of usage as with all new hardware.

/me knocks on wood

I talked to EVGA personnel and the two different people I spoke to on different days, had little to say and no explanation into why and what side effects the increased PCIe Frequency might bring to it's board's performance.

They both just kind of at why was it that my board started to work because of it after I had explained about the various problems with it as other people experienced themselfs.. But, this PCIe Frequency increase didn't work for all and only for a short time for some.. I just hope this new card which has worked good so far but it's still to early to say it's totally stable at stock speeds, because problems could just start happening after a week or so of usage as with all new hardware.

/me knocks on wood

I think they don't even know what they talking. I talked to 3 different people, 3 totally different answers. 1 tech I asked how much PSU do you need for a 7950, 600W, I'm like WTF, is he crazy, and he says you need SLI. The other says around 400W, I found that reasonable, he said SLI is not must, but an advantage to have, which is true, and the third one, lol, 250W PSU, ROFL, go work somewhere else fool, and you do not need SLI. Hahaha.

Even the RMA dept, I called in 2 days ago, finding out why RMA still not shipped, I was told, the new cards ha ve not even started shipping out, we haven't even published any, he is talking total crap, lots of my friend received new cards, and working perfectly, I called in today, he told me they have already started shipping them out, we are shipping them out, now you think yourself 2 different answers, who do you believe.

There is an automated message saying your card will be shipped in 1 biz. day, lol, its been there for a week, a person like me, calls in almost everyday, tomorrow never comes lol. Been a month now, RMA approved on July 3, its now August 3, still no one giving a straight answer. Evga is an excellent company, but NVIDIA is screwing them up big time, sending in stupid cards. EVGA is trying hard to do whatever they can. I do understand shipping 100s of cards is not easy.

Anyways, I hope I get mine soon, cya guys, and yeah Redbeaver, first of all, check the update: http://www.evga.com/articles/304.asp , might as well sumbit an RMA, before you go too much behind, since lots of people are now submitting RMA after the new cards are out.

And pleasure to meet ya, I live in Calgary, AB, myself. Cya around :)

miggs78 I hear you, I hate mis answers myself and stupid suggestions like you don't need SLI or your 520W PSU is not enough without even asking how many drives,fans etc are connected to it to determent wattage usage. Anyways, the new reload cards for the 7900GTXs are using Infineon chips instead of the old Samsungs which where some of the instability issues, I think the Infineon chips are gonna be a good change and so far my card is working well, gonna stress it some more this weekend.. and post side-by-side images of both cards.