Sign in to follow this  
Iggy

IQYHA Stepping, 2 Gb, and more

Well here I am two summers after buying my DFI Infinity, and my trusty old DLT3C JIUHB 1700+ has finally hit the fan. It refuses to stay consistently stable at 12.5x200 with 1.85v in this wonderful july heat, but she's been a good chip--it takes a lot to run at 170% for two years straight. Regardless, I've needed to upgrade for quite some time, and considering that Socket A is my only current upgrade path that allows me to purchase my dream modded Lian-Li and future proof PC P&C PSU, I've got a few questions I need answered before I go off on a mad buying spree.

First off, Given the choice between the following speeds and steppings of mobile AXP chips, which would you choose and why?

-2500+ IQYHA 0348XPMW

-2600+ IQYHA 0447APMW

-2800+ IQYHA 0421XPMW

Next up, if I'm going with 2x1 Gb sticks, should I try and push the FSB or run @ 200 with tight timings? Also, would it be *gasp* wise to go with an NF7-S if I'm not going to crank the FSB? I've heard the Vcore is more stable @ stock (although vmods are absolutely not a problem whatsoever) and the RAID controller performs better than Sil3114 on the DFI.

Third, I want this Bios Savior, correct?

Also, I know this has been asked a thousand times, but if I'm keeping my DFI, what would you guys recommend I try as far as BIOSes go? I've been running the plain old 6/19 as long as I've had the board. :

One last thing---I remember seeing a chart on here a long time ago that outlined what chips to sink on the Lanparty NF2/Infinity NF2 series boards---would anyone happen to have a link to that chart, or be able to provide me with some information on which chips to sink for increased overclocking potential/stability?

Thanks for any help!

I've had a Socket A 2800+ XP for quite sometime and sold it alittle while ago. It comes @ 2.01GHz stock, but you can use higher multipliers by connecting two points on the chip itself. I think that cpu goes for $135 on Newegg, but if you can get a cheaper one and overclock it i would do that in my opinion. As far as the memory goes, depends which speed you get, if it's DDR400 you'll have to do your research and see how far it'll hit at which timings and voltages for the memory modules. Maybe it might be wiser to go with DDR500 (if that would work on Socket A) not sure. I'm not sure about your last question, but i hope this helps....

If it was me choosing i'd go with a Mobile2500 or 2600, both should hit 2.5ghz the 2600 could do more. If you have already got an Infinity i would'nt go out and buy an NF7s, use what you've got. Unless you got some very special cooling in mind you won't be able to take that much advantage of the extra vcore headroom on the NF7s anyway. With 2x1gb ram you will be able to clock it a little bit and you should if you can anyway. The reason being that you will have to run it at 2t, so any extra fsb that you can get you will need. To start with i would stick with the 6/19 bios, you can always have a look at others when you're up and running.

Seems like it---I did some googling, and with a better PSU and an improved water setup I don't think 2.7 GHz is out of reach, although my dreams for 250x10 will definitely be crushed by the 2x1 Gb sticks. I'm planning to play Quake 4 on Ultra quality, so I'm assuming 2x1 Gb would outweigh any performance benefits of a 250 FSB?

so I'm assuming 2x1 Gb would outweigh any performance benefits of a 250 FSB?

That's a very difficult question to answer, for the simple reason that most of us run 2x512 and some still run 2x256 in these NF2's. The only real way to know for sure is for you to try it and see.

...although my dreams for 250x10 will definitely be crushed by the 2x1 Gb sticks. I'm planning to play Quake 4 on Ultra quality, so I'm assuming 2x1 Gb would outweigh any performance benefits of a 250 FSB?

10x250 is challenge for 2x512 let alone 2x1GB! If you have a good mobile xp stepping you could simply concentrate on getting in the 2600-2700MHz range if you have decent cooling capacity. I believe your particular stepping may get you there in terms of freq but not necessarily in FSB because of the higher density dimms (2x1GB).

Depending on the apps/games you use, it may be a better tradeoff than 10x250 (2x512). It just depends.

Good luck!

--Fernando

@Sharptooth+: Yup But be careful about the sink size and placements. Especially if using therma exopy. Too tall and cards won't fit,dimm latches won't go ect. Don't forget the s-b or getta' fan in the sink. (Note: much of an oversizeed sink on the s-b will make cmos clearing difficult)

Edit: Also if using thermal taped sinks br sure they stay put. I had a dimm sink one time fall onto the back of my gfx card one time in such a manner that when my rigg went into 3d mode I got an instant freeze. Thought I'd cooked another card.(I was lucky)