Sign in to follow this  
dopke

Socket 939 Getting the shaft from AMD?

As everyone knows the upcoming Conroe will slash AMD prices all across the board. What I read though that caught my eye was an article on their "Agressive discontinuing of s939" I took a look at it and, wow, s939 users got the shaft? Atleast for those who built one only last year or so, like me.

Last summer I built the rig in my sig. Hoping to eventually upgrade to an X2 later on when prices came down, and they will be soon. But the thing is, Why should I upgrade to a 939 X2 when it seems for future upgrades I should go with an AM2 X2... Obviously that means I'd have to get completely new memory, mobo, and of course the CPU. That just blows.

Anyone shed some light on this? It seems the whole 939 will be gone, yet the lower 754 lives on....

obviously lines will inevitably be discontinued, but I had thought they would go on for quite longer. Maybe I'm just over-reacting and it won't be that bad afterall.

Oh yeah, here's the article. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3235

Seems as though the 1xx Opteron series aint on that list. Seems to be pretty specific discontinuation. I aint quite ready to shell out for AM2 though heh.

Well by December, DX10 cards will be out, Vista SHOULD be gettin ready to be released, and K8L will be right around the corner. Smart move, looks like their going to focus heavily on competing with Conroe rather than keeping older tech.

X10 and Vista bla, bla, I wait until all this is here and running without any problems and that it will be time for an upgrade! I don’t think I have to worry about it for another year! :)

As soon as AM2 was announced, it was obvious that S939 was a lame duck. The sooner they free-up the production capacity for other lines, the better for AMD.

You should have no problem finding someone getting rid of their X2's in the For Sale or Trade forum. Many Streeter's will move to AM2 once the DFI mobo's are released.

"Agressive discontinuing of s939" I took a look at it and, wow, s939 users got the shaft? Atleast for those who built one only last year or so, like me.

Yes they are going to come round to your house and rip the socket right out your motherboard so you can't use your PC anymore. Luckily they will leave your PCI-E slot so you can still upgrade that:)

Depending on how Conroe holds up to it's hype once it's in the hands of the masses it may hurt AMD to kill 939. If it's better most people will just skip AM2. They should have kept 939 alive and gave people a cheaper alternative than having to buy all new components.

actually it will hurt AMD more to keep 939 alive especially with the current price drops. since 939 is still a strong platform it would actually create another area of competition for the AM2.

edit** post 900 :P

AM2 at this stage just isn't worth uprading to though. There are more people that will wait to upgrade than there are early adopters. Any of the people that will do a system wide upgrade anytime soon will more than likely skip AM2 and move into an Intel based system, but there are plenty of people with 939 single cores that would move into a cheap 939 dual core because all they have to buy is a CPU.

actually it will hurt AMD more to keep 939 alive especially with the current price drops. since 939 is still a strong platform it would actually create another area of competition for the AM2.

edit** post 900 :P

Just to add to what null said...

It seems as though a lot of individuals feel as though s939 or AM2 is the only thing AMD makes a profit on, really in all actuallity it doesnt matter what they do with s939 or AM2 or K8l, the market they are trying to get ahold of is the server market, and the business market. Sadly enough the real business end of Intel and AMD does not include people like us. So they will do what ever makes them more money. Rumors are being spread around AMD ( I have a close friend that works in the Engineering Dept there) that they are going to Fuse processors, in an attempt to prevent what has happened with the 165 Optys and so on. They want to limit the overclockability of their processors because they arent selling to many of the High End Processors in their line when Optys can OC to speeds of 2.8, 0r 2.6...Think about how much money they loose when we find out that a 165 Opteron can reach 2.6, FX-60 speeds at a third of the cost....Basically if you want a fast processor your going to have to pay for it. We are on the bottom of those companies lists, so sadly enough they will phase out and change sockets and platforms all the time with out any care in the world as to how it might effect us average Joes....

The server market numbers AMD has shouldn't be enough to make them run in that direction. I wonder how many Server chips are running in actual servers versus the number of total Opterons sold. On paper the number of Opterons sold look pretty good but I'd be willing to bet that a great percentage of them are 939 models in desktops.