Would you still use Windows if it weren't for games?

125 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go completely to Mac OS X. I just like the simplicity of the gui, while still having a competent CLI to use when necessary, huge arrary of commercial and open source software, plus its inate ability to make tasks quicker and easier.

I have nothing against Windows in particular, and use it for the majority of my day at work and home, I just like working in OSX better. For this reason, I stick with Apple notebooks... I dont ever plan to play games on a notebook, and I dont use it for work, so no need for it to be a Windows machine.

I would.

Then all I'd need is photoshop, dreamweaver and dvd decrypter porting.

I signed a macromedia petition for them to port studio to linux not so long back, so they must be considering it.

I saw that one too... don't hold your breath. Remember, they STILL won't give a good timetable for the EASY port to an x64 compiler... a working one anyways.

The memory-related limitations in Photoshop and Dreamweaver are bad when you have a huge site open or a massive uncompressed image to work over.

Guest AAdjuster

At this time I would stick with windows, other os's make my head hurt.:)

I would use it much less, but I'd still be stuck using it. Currently the University of FL requires that students have Windows. Some of the software that is used for online instruction only functions properly in Windows or on Mac (power point plug in that only works on Internet explorer). Additionally, setting up the VPN (easiest way to acess research articles and online books) is much easier to do in Windows and it isn't always compatible with all versions of Linux. I'll be gaduating next month, and then I hope to use Windows rarely other than gaming.

I would go completely to Mac OS X. I just like the simplicity of the gui, while still having a competent CLI to use when necessary, huge arrary of commercial and open source software, plus its inate ability to make tasks quicker and easier.

Out of curiosity, huge in comparison to what?

Anyways I voted windows, I love it for my HTPC setup and for SFF systems. I guess cost is one of the reasons as well, things are just so expensive when you buy pre-built. Also I really enjoy XP and how stable it is (can't say the same for previous versions).

I think I am cursed when it comes to using Macs. Every time I use one I somehow manage to crash one application or another (sometimes the whole machine will just lock up). In the space of 30 minutes I crashed Safari 6 times. Though my friends seem to do just fine when they use them, perhaps I am a bit too agressive at multitasking.

Topic looks a bit misleading, but I answered "yes".

I know, I know. Perhaps those of you having english as your native language don't see anything funny in it, but... :P

In lack of better wording, Windows is usable, while all *NIX platforms are still aeons away from that. Because of my poor memory and lack of time, swapping OS to anything less usable than Windows would be too hard learning experience for me. Sure, some other OS may offer some beneficts, but for me it's not enough. Windows does have it's shortcomings, but all things considered, it's the OS for me. ;)

I voted NO. Not because I like any of the other choices better, but because If I could Eliminate any of the OS's from the equation and have all the extra resources working for me, plus just a cleaner transition from game software to hardware, I would see an improvement. Wasnt there just an article around recently saying how the Consoles really dont have any hardware advantage over the PC, but they dont have all the PC OS clutter and drain to deal with? Hm?

Wow, that would really be a neat thing if we could somehow bypass our OS when playing games.

Im an old dog that could'nt learn new tricks this late in the game so i'll just stick to what I know .. Windows. Looking back on my Win98 days of crashing every other hour I consider XP "perfect" when compared to it.

I would definitely get rid of Windows. I've been supporting and building with it since 3.1 and it's always been a headache. I run Slackware on my laptop using Blackbox for X. It's fast, simple, and small. Plus, you can pretty much build Linux for whatever you want it to do. I built a "distro" just to play Flightgear using Linux From Scratch.

Matter of fact, using that same LFS box, I played RTCW, burnt a CD, downloaded a file, and listened to XMMS all at the same time with little noticeable framerate loss on the game (Duron 600 OC'd to 800). I could never have done that on a Windows box with the same computer.