Stutters or Lags in Games

I just got my new computer System and I recieve serious "lags".

While playing games, the screen freezes for a short time (0.5 to 15 seconds) while music playback is not affected. On some games, I am able to move the mousecurser during this effect but I can not interact with GUI items.

After the lag, sometimes time passes by very fast, as if everything that happened during this lag happens now fast forward, than it works again.

This lag or stutter is really annoying. I tried the following fixes:

- installed amd x2 driver

- installed ms beta hotfix for dual cores and added reg entries

- installed amd TscSync

- tried running windows in single cpu mode

- bound processes to one core on dual cpu mode

- installed latest bios and latest drivers available for all hardware

Nothing helped me solving these problems!

My configuration:

DFI Lanparty Ultra D (NF4LD406)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (E6)

2 x 512 MB of Ram (2.5-4-4-8)

Asus EN7900GTX/2DHT (Forceware 91.31)

CT Sounblaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD3200YS x 2

ModStream 520W(260 Watt Combined)

Bios Settings are optimized defaults except ram settings, these are all set to auto.

Affected games:

Guild Wars, Oblivion, Quake4, Doom3, NFSU:MW

Not Affected:

Far Cry (but heavy graphic bugs), 3dmark 05&06, F.E.A.R.

I've read through the thread about X2 Problems but all the suggestions seem not to help me.

Does anybody also have those problems, or are there any ideas what I can try?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not use this version yet, because i just got this system and installed the latest drivers. Shall I just ininstall the drivers and install the 84.xx or do I need a special tool to remove the driver?

Best to uninstall NV display drivers and run drive cleaner pro to clean up files and then install new drivers. Many have had problems with the 9000series drivers I would try the 84.21 drivers and see if have same problem.

The 7900 series cards do have a large number of issues, I have not heard of this lag your talking about but it certainly could be the source of your troubles....How are you temps?

The temps seem to be very fine to me. CPU has about 42 degrees after playing games, mobo is at about 39 degrees and the bridge has about 50 degrees. the gpu is about 50 degrees too.

what program shall I use to run a stability test?

The temps seem to be very fine to me. CPU has about 42 degrees after playing games, mobo is at about 39 degrees and the bridge has about 50 degrees. the gpu is about 50 degrees too.

what program shall I use to run a stability test?

U may wanna try Prime95,SuperPi,or OCCT i guest.

But there are many other test too..

i've noticed that my games tend to lock up for about 15-30 seconds as well. i haven't tried older drivers yet.., but i've been wondering what is causing it. i'm kinda glad to know that i'm not alone in this problem, although it sucks that it is a problem. i tried upping my voltages just a tad, but i was already prime stable, i can't remember how many hows, but i know it was more than 8, and i'm pretty sure more than 12, something like 20 hours i think. maybe i'll run it again tonight, and stop it when i get off work tomorrow, so like 20 hours.., but yeah. it really is annoying. doom3, oblivion, and CS:S (although, i've been having wireless connection issues that i believe are causing CS:S to have lag spikes), UT 2004.