Wondering if you can help me out: data recovery poll

SanguineI

I will not lie, this is for my job. My boss wanted me to ask people about search terms they'd use when they suspected they'd need data recovery. I'm helping him to develop a google adwords strategy, trying to get as much bang for his advertising buck, so I'm trying to poll people of all computer-literacy levels to see what people would search for.

Now obviously, most, if not all of you are more computer-literate than your average person (you are DFI-owners after all ;) ), so when your drives are failing you probably know that data recovery is an option (part of this is for me to interview older/less informed people who might not know about data recovery as an option. For that I'll search elsewhere).

So if you knew your hard drive(s) was failing and you didn't back up like a good boy/girl and were considering data recovery, what are some terms you'd probably search for in google? Also, what would you search for if you needed to diagnose what problems you were having?

This is for my job, so if this is in any way inappropriate or against some rule that I missed in the forum rules, please let me know or delete the thread and accept my sincere apologies.

I have a question for you, recently my 300gb PATA 16 mb cache 7200 rpm maxtor drive died, and I have a few restore progs, but none of them were able to read the drive...I have about 225 gigs of stuff on there, was my storage drive, all my pictures, programs, etc.

I'm wondering what the average fee for data recovery is..I'm going to bed now, but I'll respond to your thread more in depth tomorrow regarding the search terms.

I have a question for you, recently my 300gb PATA 16 mb cache 7200 rpm maxtor drive died, and I have a few restore progs, but none of them were able to read the drive...I have about 225 gigs of stuff on there, was my storage drive, all my pictures, programs, etc.

I'm wondering what the average fee for data recovery is..I'm going to bed now, but I'll respond to your thread more in depth tomorrow regarding the search terms.

I'm actually a sort of auxillary worker for this company. I work from home and don't really have any sort of involvement in the data recovery process, so I'm not that informed about the ins and outs of how their data recovery service operates, but I do know a little bit.

Generally speaking, there are two types of data loss, logical data loss (where the data is still there but the drive just can't figure out how to get to it) or physical data loss where mechanical problems are the culprit. I'm not entirely sure of the statistics but I believe mechanical failure is more common and the problem there is that when your hard drive starts to die, using data recovery software can actually make the data harder to recover because the reading head is in use more and it can damage the data since its malfunctioning.

I'm not sure how their pricing works since I'm not involved with that part of the process but I'll PM you with some contact info so you can get a quote. As far as other data recovery businesses go, I'm not sure what the going rate is these days but my one word of warning is to stay away from flat-rate data recovery firms. Data recovery can be a very complex procedure and no two recoveries are alike. If you find a data recovery service that is either wayy cheaper than the others or is charging a flat rate, I'd advise against it.

A few off the top of my head: Platter, Head, crash, data, recovery, loss, byte for byte, binary.

If it the drive was suspected to be dying : 'Brand' drive diagnosis

If the drive was confirmed to be dying : Data backup tools

If the drive was dead : Data recovery tools

Hard drive dying, Bad hard drive, unreadable hard disk/drive, I lost my F*****g data etc

I have a little program called Spinrite by that dude Steve gibson I havent used it yet but it looks like it would do the job. im hoping I never have to :) but its said to recover all kinds of stuff from very badly damaged hard drives and fix bad sectors n stuff

@Branjo

Just be careful using data recovery software. If your hard drive is making any sort of strange noises other than regular noises it makes when its operating, its generally a bad idea to use data recovery software. Sometimes you can get what data you want and then bail on the drive, but just keep in mind that any strange noises are an indicator of physical damage to the components of the drive, so you can be making your data harder to recover the more you use the drive.

Thanks to everyone to the search terms! :)

Guest Kobalt

Spinrite is VERY good, it saved a friends HD data loss. No trial though, and it costs I think $60 or 70.