$80.00 Coupon for Opteron 165 @ Monarch...After = $230

s10man69

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seriously debating getting one. I just don't know how long this deal will last and the future prices on the Opterons. I'm a bit loving of my 148 still.

i'm in the same situation. i got my opty 148 at 2.9ghz stable but i've been looking at those opty 165 and x2 4600+. i'm still debating on which one i should get

wait a week, AMD has a drop drop planned.

AMD really will drop Athlon 64 prices to compete with Intel Core 2 Duo

Scott M. Fulton, III

July 14, 2006 08:26

"Sunnyvale (CA) - A spokesperson for AMD confirmed to TG Daily that customers should expect AMD to announce a substantial price drop in its highest performance desktop processors, including Athlon 64 X2. The price drop should be announced at or about the time that Intel announces the release of its next-generation Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors - an announcement which is now expected before the end of the month."

1779_large_full_pricing.png

Just some info I found.

AMD Price Cut thread

0608mpmw is a good stepping. Just recieved my 0610dpmw but won't be able to play with it till this weekend.

I hope you're right about the ccbwe 0608mpmw, because that's what showed up at my door today.

Unfortunately, everything I've been able to gather from extremesystems and other places is ccbwe=not so good.

I don't necessarily believe everything I read, but they supposedly have a weaker memory controller, and you may have to fight to get 2600 or 2700 out of them.

I got in line Monday night, but an address screwup kept it from shipping until Wednesday, and possibly screwed me out of a ccbbe 0610dpmw. I'll never know. My usual luck though.

It's still unopened because it's too damn hot to mess with it today.It looks like you might be in the same area as me, so you probably know what I'm talking about.

I may just leave it unopened and return it to Monarch and eat the restocking fee. It wouldn't suck as bad if I wasn't forced to return it for credit.

I don't mean to discourage anyone who got one of the same, it might be a very good chip, but unless I'm misunderstanding something about what I read, I ain't real happy.

Burley boy: Didn't realize it was the ccbwe mem controler. Probaly should read a little slower next time. Heard those were are a real crap shoot as to how good they are. My old opty has that same mem control and it is pretty weak.

Yeah, it is pretty hot today. Reminds me of Florida only not quite as humid.

I'm in an apt. facing due west, out here in Auburn. Damn, it's hot. About time to head to the pool.

The heat only added to my crankiness, when I opened it up and checked the stepping.

I haven't been able to find much on that exact stepping, just that the ccbwe isn't as good.

This is the reason I've held off on buying one for so long, I generally like to know what I'm buying, before I hit the submit button.

When you say your old Opti was pretty weak, how weak?

I guess since I'd have to pay to ship it back and lose $38 in restocking fee, and I can only get a credit, I'm stuck with it.

If it turns out to be a real pos, I'll clock it at 2400Mhz ( it's got to be able to do that) and put it in the new rig I'm buiding for my Daughter, and keep my 4000+.

Now that I've convinced myself, without even breaking the seal, that I got a craptastic chip, there's nowhere to go but up, and nothing to do but cool down.

It is very weak. About 2.6 the screen would start flashing and and it would become very unstable. Loosening ram timmings and more voltage only made it worse. It would do 2.5 no problem on stock voltage if I left the the ldt at 4.

Of course others have gotten ones that do 2.8 easy so hopfully yours is good. Just try not to throw anything through your screen:)

I wonder if they ship steppings out in groups, or if there are random steppings just sent out. (Like if certain steppings are grouped together in a pile at the warehouse). Mine shipped on thursday, kinda late so....hopefully a nice stepping somehow made its way out. Gotta wait till monday, the anticipation!