pci-e slot dead/dying?

freaky thing has just started happening. after shutting comp off for the day i come home and turn it on. after turing it on the bootup screen is all blocky and pixelated. the only way to fix this is to reseat the vid card into the first pci-e slot. should i try the other slot? is it x16 like the other one? i have posted this on the evga community board with no replys yet

thanks

Guest caffeinejunkie

Go ahead and try the second slot you'll have to switch the jumpers to sli to give the second pci-e 8x. Do you have all four power connections made?

# 24pin ATX connector.

# 4pin +12v P4 connector, near the ATX connector.

# Floppy power connector, under the CPU socket.

# Hard drive power connector, on top the chipset fan.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2944&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2945&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2946&stc=1

left the comp on today while im at work, after i plugges it in the otherday i didnt have a blocky start up. but ill have to see when i reboot or leave it off again for a peroid of time :D

It makes me wonder how some people have been able to boot up their computer without the floppy connector plugged in. When I tried that after I threw together my computer, it refused to POST. I had to plug it in to get it to work at all. I had the Molex, aux, and 24 pin ATX connectors plugged in already.

• 3 weeks later...

after connecting the floppy connector the problem seemed to go away for a couple of weeks.

this morning after i got up booted the comp up and got another blocky post screen (all 4 connectors are plugged in).

came home, dissapated the capasitors in the system by turing off the power switch on the PS then pressing the power button 5 times, booted up and no blocky post/bootup screen , is there a chance that thge capasitors on the board are dying?

beats me how youd turn on the mobo first off without plugging in the connectors. Mine came with a colorfull quick setup guide that said you MUST connect the four power connectors to the mobo. surely mine wasnt the only one?

How does the floppy one work??? Do i connect it into the floppy drive and then into the board???or directly form the PSU into the board???same for the HD style one.......

Sorry for hijacking the thread.