Im getting frustrated - I cant install both my memory sticks

Ok, here is the issue.

I have 2 x 1GB Mushkin PC4000 XP memory.

I can get my computer to work when I install one stick in DIMM 2.

But when it comes to installing both sticks, I want to install them in DIMM slots 2 & 4, but I have a big Zalman fan, so the memory wont fit in DIMM 4.

When I try running them in DIMM's 1 & 3 or DIMM's 1 & 2, I get the error saying that the sticks must be in slots 2 & 4 to work in dual channel mode, however I can press F1 to continue in single channel mode. But my system becomes very unstable and reboots randomly.

The frustrating part in all of this is that I used to have old asimilar memory that worked in single channel mode when installed in DIMM's 1 & 2. However, my new memory wont.

I already RMAed my memory, and my new ones do the same thing.

Anyways, here are my questions:

1. Are there any known issues beteween my memory and mobo (as listed in my sig)?

2. Is there any way I can make my memory work in dual channel while installed in DIMM's 1 & 3.

3. Is there any way to be sure my computer will work if the sticks are istalled in DIMM's 2 & 4 without having to buy/instally a new CPU HSF?

Thanks,

Swiftwin

Is there such thing as a BIOS that would let me?

And also, Is there any way to be sure my computer will work if the sticks are istalled in DIMM's 2 & 4 without having to buy/instally a new CPU HSF?

Hello,

With the official bioses you must use the orange slots.

If you flash to any bios with a -2 extension, eg

704-2BTA

The yellow slots can be used.

Remember after any bios flash turn the pc off and Clear the CMOS for a few mins.

I'm running a set of that memory and it has been absolutely trouble free... You should clear your CMOS before you boot it the first time - and bios 623-3 or 704-2bta will both work a treat... (might need 623-2 if the memory wont fit, but i haven't tried it so can't be certain...)

Settings to get you up and going for a variety of different clock speeds are here

Have a look down and under the rubbish for the ASUS board is some good info for the DFI nF4 boards...

Good Luck ;o)