$200...what to buy?

Rezag1000

I have recently acquiered $200 (for a teenager who does not have a job and is stuck at home babysitting a 2-year old all day after 4 hours of summer gym, that is a lot of mulah)

What should I buy?

I have narrowed it down to these:

1. Water cooling kit

2. 2 GB DDR ram

3. wait until price drop and 3800+ X2

4. X1800GTO

concerns:

1. If I buy a water cooling kit, I will see no noticable performance increase.

2. With conroe and AM2, DDR is on it's way out. When I upgrade to AM2 or conroe, I will have to throw out 3 GB of DDR rather than 1 GB if I make this purchase

3. Why bother getting a new CPU when your RAM and GPU will bottleneck you? X2s are also somewhat outdated now that conroe has arrived.

4. Again, why bother get a new GPU when your RAM will hold back performance? (specifically in BF2)

system specs:

DFI Ultra-D Nf4 ultra

AMD 3000+ @ 2.5 Ghz

1 GB DDR memory 2-2-2-5 @ 227 Mhz

6600 GT @ 550/1080

80 GB hitachi HD

Well being in the same age group, I take it you game? Or no?

Well, depending on what you do 2GB of RAM is great for gaming.

If you don't game but multi task, then an X2 with a nice CPU cooler would work well.

If you do neither, then DangerDen watercooling can be had in that price range.

Me? I'll be getting an X2 3800+.

yeah I game...so you guys are thinking the 2 GB of ram is my best choice?

some things worry me however. When I make the move to AM2/AM3 or conroe, I will have to buy DDR2 memory. Memory I buy now would be rendered trash. Also, if I get the ram now, I will not have enough for an X2 which has ben discontinued for 939. I am worried I would not be able to purchase any down the line.

Ah right...

Well if you're worried about wasting, why not just save it? If you're happy with your rig you might as well shove it into an account and start a savings account for AM3 or Conroe or 4x4, whatever you want in the future...

Seems to me you're just spending money cos you have it ;) (and, being 15 myself, I know the feeling lol :P)

What Ollie said :) Not like yer gonna get a night and day difference on whatever you'd pick, only a slight gain/barely noticeable...

If it's burnin' a hole in yer pocket, remove it from yer pocket :) (and put it in yer piggy bank, mattress, jar, where ever) ;)

good advice guys, good advice. Will do.

but can I please buy a Big typoon? Pretty please!?!?!?!?!?!?!

lol...lets see where this chip can get with some real cooling....2.5ghz aint cutting it...

You guys think if I move from a silent boost to a big typhoon i should get an increase in OC?