Sign in to follow this  
Disparu

Speed of x1900 crossfire (x1900xt core)

I see so many people with a x1900xtx and a x1900 crossfire (x1900xt core) crossfire setup

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that each card in crossfire mode would only run as fast as the slower counterpart? Seeing as how the crossfire card is running on an xt core why not save your money and get an xt card to pair with it?

Please, educate me ;)

I have the same impression. My guess, there are people that bought the XTX version first, and later they crossfire it, or they just didnt know about it, or we have the wrong impression :-)

Like me...I ran a single X1900XTX on an Ultra-D for about 5 months..then just now (couple weeks ago), switched over to Crossfire. So, why buy a lower model, when I have this.

It doesn't actually get clocked down at all, but it still runs at full speed, sometimes it just has to wait for the other card to catch up. That is how I've understood it anyways.

I see so many people with a x1900xtx and a x1900 crossfire (x1900xt core) crossfire setup

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that each card in crossfire mode would only run as fast as the slower counterpart? Seeing as how the crossfire card is running on an xt core why not save your money and get an xt card to pair with it?

Please, educate me ;)

the X1900 Crossfire Master IS an X1900XT

there is NO difference except that the master card has the processing unit that allows for Crossfire

that's it

there's no difference

X1900 Crossfire = X1900XT with the Crossfire chip on it

this is DIRECT from ATI (cuz i had the same question)

edit: check for yourselves...X1900 Crossfire Master = 625/650 stock, X1900XT = 625/650 stock (on bbATI models, but ATI's rules state that the Crossfire Master is an XT version)

edit #2: s10man....you been here long enough to read the rules...

edit #3: I just realized you guys were talking about XTX...here's the trick...you simply clock the Master card up to XTX speeds...it's pretty easy to do if you have some decent aftermarket cooling.

My mistake for not reading thoroughly before answering, but hopefully my reply will answer any questions about Crossfire Master vs X1900XT since most don't know that they are the same card as I just described!

yeah i noted that the xt and crossfire are both xt cores, but yeah good point, i guess you could clock it up.

Originally posted by Happy_Games :

edit #2: s10man....you been here long enough to read the rules...

Sorry, someone made it for me, I thought it was within limits..My bad for not checking man!

This is the biggest misconception with crossfire. No, the XTX will not downclock to the XT speeds of the Crossfire card. When using Overdrive with crossfire enabled, BOTH cards clock up together...

"Note that when increasing the mem or GPU clock sliders in overdrive, you are overclocking BOTH cards."

This thread really explains things well.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=181125

So, i guess i can overclock my 1900XT to XTX speed without any issue? and with good cooling of course (no water).

The other thing to be aware of with Mastercards, is that there isnt a mastercard for every standard card that ATI makes. To use the X1900 series as an example there is NO X1900XTX mastercard, only an X1900XT mastercard.

This means that if you are planning on running crossfire you are best to buy a standard card that matches the specs of the Mastercard. Buying a card alot slower, would waste the power (power that you are paying extra for remember) of the mastercard, and vice-versa when buying a card faster than the mastercard.

One point of confusion though. When running a faster standard card with a slower master card (EG an XTX with a X1900 mastercard) unlike SLI, the faster card Is not downclocked but will continue running at its rated speeds. Do not get too excited by this, because it could well be the case that the faster card may finish a its frame (or portion of a frame) before the slower one and have to waste clock cylces waiting for it to catch up. So whether there is any noticable difference is debatable.

Thank you!!

edit: check for yourselves...X1900 Crossfire Master = 625/650 stock, X1900XT = 625/650 stock (on bbATI models, but ATI's rules state that the Crossfire Master is an XT version)

Stock is 625/725 for XT and 650/775 for XTX, where did you come up with 650/650 memory for XT/XTX? ;)

Here's an IDEA.....

Another way would be buying an X1900XT along with the X1900CF and overclocking both to 650/775 from stock frequencies. I'm sure there is many articles and benchmarks around the net that will show you how much of an advantage an XFire system overclocked to XTX speeds has compared to the XFire system at stock 625/725. ;)

Stock is 625/725 for XT and 650/775 for XTX, where did you come up with 650/650 memory for XT/XTX? ;)

He was talking about crossfire vs xt which do have the same clock frequencies

EDIT: oops I have foot in mouth disorder, yes mack you are right ;)