[RESOLVED]At the End of My Rope. Need Help

I'm recently building a new mid-range gaming system for myself and I've run into a few snags along the way. Extremely frustrating want to throw the computer out the window snags. Anyway, down to business....

I bought most of my components from Fry's here in Austin, Texas I decided on the Asus A8N SLI- Deluxe mobo along with a 1gb match pair of kingston value ram and the other parts listed below in my sig. Well I get the stuff home and the board posts a total of 3 times and then does not boot anylonger after that. I try all the components in my buddies computer who has pretty much the same thing other than he's using an eVGA motherboard. Everything but the memory tests out ok. I try his memory and still the board is dead, powers on but no post.

So I take the board and memory back, I do an even exchange on the board and switch to Corsair XMS TwinX match pair for the memory. I get home EXACT SAME THING, board posts 3 or 4 times, then dies....I notice the 1394 controller chip on the board is blistering(litterally) hot. I check my memory just to make sure it's good and it fails the memtest, 1 stick passes, one fails. It will run single chan but not dual.

OK(by now I'm sure half of you have lost intrest, but in the hopes there's somebody still reading, here are my main questions). I've never used a DFI board before, I've always went with ASUS, but I refuse to get another A8N board after 2 DOA's especially since it's a 3hr round trip for me each time.

Are there any compatability issues with the DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert i.e. memory etc. I don't want to get home and not be able to boot this thing up again...I don't think I could handle it. I obviously plan on oc'ing so if that is a bad choice of memory, what would you suggest. Also for air cooling the cpu the layout of the board seems like it would cover the first memory slot if I use an oversized cooler like the big typhoon?

I know that's alot of info to take in, but I've got an hour before I get off work and head back to trade in for what I hope to be my last time.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, your problem is buying value ram, second using a bad PSU to begin with. Third, did you even hook up the 8pin power plug to the motherboard yet, or you're having problems with the ASUS board? Buy better ram and get a better PSU. The EXPERT is different from the rest of the group (NF4-D, ULTRA-D, SLI-D, and SLI-DR) since it's very very picky with components as i hear nearly in every thread that you see in this forum. Why don't you try some other things like some of the suggestions i've mentioned above and please next time don't buy anything from Fry's (Take back Electronic). Shop on-line you wouldn't be any happier..... (Newegg.com, SVC.com, or Monarchcomputers.com). ;)

First, your problem is buying value ram, second using a bad PSU to begin with. Third, did you even hook up the 8pin power plug to the motherboard yet, or you're having problems with the ASUS board? Buy better ram and get a better PSU. The EXPERT is different from the rest of the group (NF4-D, ULTRA-D, SLI-D, and SLI-DR) since it's very very picky with components as i hear nearly in every thread that you see in this forum. Why don't you try some other things like some of the suggestions i've mentioned above and please next time don't buy anything from Fry's (Take back Electronic). Shop on-line you wouldn't be any happier..... (Newegg.com, SVC.com, or Monarchcomputers.com). ;)

Do you really consider the Antec(not asus) neo550 a $120 psu a bad one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817103941 All the rails tested out fine as far as I could tell. It was the Asus board X2 that I had problems with, I was asking before I picked up a DFI board so no I haven't plugged in the 8pin power plug yet :P . Also, I only used value ram once, I went back and got the Corsair matched pair XMS TwinX 2-3-3-6 and that failed as well, although I'm thinking it was that crap butt mobo that did it.

This is the first and most likely the last time I've done any shopping at Fry's Newegg has always been my store of choice. I'll read through the other threads about compatability issues and cross my fingers that I get all good stuff this time :mad:

btw, thanks for the quick replies

Get some OCZ pc4000 EB or xtc 2X1gb for memory and read all stickys and the build guide and OC guide before building you will be glad you did.http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=49

OCZ....that was my original choice and the sales guy said he had the same board and the Corsair worked perfect in his....that's the only reason I got it. But thanks for the tip, I'll go with my original choice.

Not to mention this time I'm going to make them take the board out of the box and post it a few times in front of me to make sure it's all working.

Actually I was just reading up on my psu and it seems that it actually has compatability issues with the Asus A8N SLI chain of boards, is there anybody running this PSU and a DFI board?

Don't get me wrong, I tried several different psu's and components with the board, but this was after I tried my original psu

You've picked a good board in the DFI Expert, but I wouldn't trade my NF4 Ultra-D for the world. If you're not planning on SLi you could save yourself some dough and just go with the Ultra-D.

Lowboy makes a good recommendation on the RAM.

Love my Sandie. I mean LOVE my Sandie. I've got a 3700 Sandie that runs 24/7 @ 2.86 ghz and has never - and I mean never - even so much as hiccuped at me. But I'm seriously considering an upgrade to a dual core Opty here real quick.

Power supply choice is fine.

If you save a little cash on the motherboard, maybe you could spring for a geForce 7900GT?

Axis

The Expert motherboard is very picky about power and the types of PSU’s it uses. Power requirement for DFI motherboards are very high and a good quality PSU with make the world of difference in stability and overclocking.

I would go with a OCZ 600W or 700W PSU. Do yourself and your motherboard a big favor. Get a Recommended PowerSupplies. If it is not here forget it.

If your overclocking go with the OCZ pc4000 EB if not you can get by with some OCZ pc3200 EL.

If you’re going to put out $120 for a PSU get one from the Recommended PowerSupplies List. You’re asking for advice. What is the point of asking if you decide it's not what you need.

Just my opinions.

After further research of the Antec psu you're considering, I no longer consider it a safe bet and rescind my previous recommendations.

I too would go for the OCZ GameXStream 600w if you can swing it. I'm really happy with my 700w version.

Well there nothing wrong with corsair ram I'm guessing you have load default settings. and everything on auto. And is it a new OS install? And do you have all power plugs plugged into the board ? its a must

Axis

The Expert motherboard is very picky about power and the types of PSU’s it uses. Power requirement for DFI motherboards are very high and a good quality PSU with make the world of difference in stability and overclocking.

I would go with a OCZ 600W or 700W PSU. Do yourself and your motherboard a big favor. Get a Recommended PowerSupplies. If it is not here forget it.

If your overclocking go with the OCZ pc4000 EB if not you can get by with some OCZ pc3200 EL.

If you’re going to put out $120 for a PSU get one from the Recommended PowerSupplies List. You’re asking for advice. What is the point of asking if you decide it's not what you need.

Just my opinions.

no no no, I do value the advice and opinions here, I think I was misunderstood, I already own the Antec Neo 550 psu and was asking if I needed to replace it. I just got back from Frys hell, and made damn sure that everything was tested in front of me to ensure a proper post. I'm going to start the install now with what I have(new patriot ram btw 2x512 with timings of 2-3-2-5) wish me luck and I'll keep you apprised

Keep in mind that you may have to start with loose memory timings to get that first boot. After you get that and confirm memory stability via Memtest you can go about installing your OS and then return to the memory tweaking at a later date to optimize your performance.