Winxp Boot Screen To Restart

Dignan

I decided to be the nice guy that I am and give my dad some leftover parts that I had to step him up a bit in the computer world, I gave him mobo cpu hsf ram all working before I gave to him. The only thing I did was disable on-board raid and enable the primary IDE channel. Now when I turn on the comp everything posts fine but when the Win XP boot screen comes up it just stops and restarts. I am really tired and out of ideas so any help is much appriciated. He has a ATA controller but does the same thing when disconnected. He has the old HDD from his PIII 800 (Win XP already on it) attached to this new comp with a XP 1800+. Just wondering what it could be. Also is there anyway I could possibly reinstall win xp without losing all his programs (he doesn't want to lose quicken data). if more info necessary please say so.

i have found that xp doesnt like hardware changes very much so you mite try to reinstall xp over the old one and pray it fixes the problem if it does then back everything up and redo the hdd with 2 partitions 5 to 10 gigs for C: and the rest for D: and save all the stuff you want to keep on D: so if xp dies you format c and everything is still safe on D: