Raid 0 and 16k Cluster

Ok I have 2xHitachi Deskstars and am about to install XP on them in a striped RAID setup.

The problem is that my XP CD is SP2. I have heard about a lot of problems when it comes to using the 16k install method and SP2.

I was wondering if there are any new ways around this problem yet or do I still have to do it the old way (which is the biggest pain in the butt ever).

The way I will have to do it atm:

1) Recreate my SP2 CD and replace the following files in the I386 directory in SP2:

dmadmin.exe (dmadmin.ex_)

spcmdcon.sys (spcmdcon.sy_)

setupdd.sys (setupdd.sy_)

autochk.exe

autoconv.exe (autoconv.ex_)

autofmt.exe

untfs.dll (untfs.dl_)

2) Install XP on a 3rd drive (already done).

3) Setup the Raid and format the drive(s) as NTFS and 16k cluster size.

4) Change drive boot up priorities.

5) Reboot and load raid drivers then install the modified XP onto the drive(s).

6) Install latest 6.86 chipset drivers from nVidia (all except smart gardian).

7) Install hotfixes from Microsoft.

8) Install graphics drivers.

9) Install audio drivers if they havn't already been installed during chipset drivers.

Is this right???

Colt :D

That would eliminate step 5 but otherwise things would stay the same, correct?

I have a new problem though.

When I go to install on the RAID partition it says setup cannot recognise the partition (despite the fact it accuratly reports it as a NTFS drive with ~160GB of data). It recommends I go back and delete the partition and create a new one. Of course if I do this it will create it with the default 4k cluster size, correct?

1) What is causing it to not recognise the partition despite it working fine in XP on my 3rd drive (I can copy and delete files on the Raid partition fine using that install)?

2) How do I fix this?

The problem I am having exactly is exactly as detailed above, I really can't be any more specific.

Setup will not proceed without making me delete the partition and create a new one but if I do that it will create it as a 4k partition by default which isn't what I want.

The partition works fine from the OS install on the 3rd drive a WD200GB so why would setup refuse it?

Why do you want to use Cluster size of 16 kb??? I have used it before, even with SP2 (I have my Windows CD fixed for that bug ;) ) and I saw no diference in performance, but saw some hard drive space wasted because of the huge minimum file size.

There are various reasons for choosing 16k and the choice is mainly dependant on what you use the drives for.

No it doesn't, not unless you are in windows.

If you are in setup (blue screen) it does not have an option to select from and will always choose 4k.

I am now unable to access explorer or computer management from the previously stable OS (on the 200GB WD) and yet I have installed a 4k cluster of XP on the raid drives which works fine.

WTF is going on!

You do not have to replace all the files as mentioned above. I have updated the original post that I had first made at the abit-usa forums. The only file that needs to be replaced now is the setupdd.sys. This was only meant to be a stopgap solution till M$ came out with some sort of solution for this problem. After speaking to M$ several times over this issue, they finally said they are not really bothered about this problem since too few people have actually experienced it and as such do not..............(you can guess the rest)!

I also install on a 16k/16k raid 0 partition and it was getting to be a PITA to keep a seperate install of windows on a 3rd drive. See if you can get your hands on a software called 'Paragon Partition Manager'. It allows you to create a bootable cd and has both dos and linux modes. It also recognizes raid 0 or raid 1 partition without loading any drivers. I have been using it for the past year or so and have never needed a seperate windows install since then.

Yeah unfortunatly this became to much of a pain in the butt so I just installed with a 4k cluster.

There seems to be a huge number of people who think that the stripe cluster size is the same as the partition cluster size.

One question though, did not changing that file result in the problems mentioned above or was it only after the install had finished completely and you tried to run windows?

I just cannot fathom why windows would reject a perfectly formatted partition.

You do not have to replace all the files as mentioned above. I have updated the original post that I had first made at the abit-usa forums. The only file that needs to be replaced now is the setupdd.sys. This was only meant to be a stopgap solution till M$ came out with some sort of solution for this problem. After speaking to M$ several times over this issue, they finally said they are not really bothered about this problem since too few people have actually experienced it and as such do not..............(you can guess the rest)!

I also install on a 16k/16k raid 0 partition and it was getting to be a PITA to keep a seperate install of windows on a 3rd drive. See if you can get your hands on a software called 'Paragon Partition Manager'. It allows you to create a bootable cd and has both dos and linux modes. It also recognizes raid 0 or raid 1 partition without loading any drivers. I have been using it for the past year or so and have never needed a seperate windows install since then.

Listen to this guy, he is the one who posted the guide to "fix" the SP2 Windows XP CD back ages ago at the Abit forum... :)

Prostock62, you are talking about Stripe size... thats something else, thats the smallest data size unit to store stripes of information between hard drives on the array. While cluster is the smallest storage data size used on a partition, smaller files than this size will still occupy the same minimum space... so a small waste of space is created.