Sign in to follow this  
accuracy001

Properly install SATA (NCQ & 3gb/s)

Lol, yeah if I had the money/time/effort to get RAID i would cos its meant to be awesomely fast...

Correct me if I'm wrong but does RAID split the data between the two, effectivley halving wait times? Isn't that dangerous if one of the hard-drivess goes down, cos then you lose everything :confused:

yea you got it right, although i wouldnt say wait times in 1/2 it does make a noticable increase in speed.

It is dangerous, but i backup or have everything backed up that makes it onto the drives, with the exception of some stuff that can be replaced :D

"Theoretical Speed: 300.0 b/s

Burst Speed: 203.3 b/s

Sustained Speed: 75.8b/s"

HUH??

I got the same with my 7200.9 160gb barracuda, except My burst speed was only 160:(

lol

jaq check out the hd raid benches under the software thread for more info but......

260 for burst? certainly not a bad burst rate... i bet if u disable read caching and ncq under hw manager you could break 300 easy.

jaq check out the hd raid benches under the software thread for more info but......

260 for burst? certainly not a bad burst rate... i bet if u disable read caching and ncq under hw manager you could break 300 easy.

Thanks Liquid, but at what cost? I have no idea what read caching or ncq are. I can certainly research it but do you have a nutshell explanation?

well from a user standpoint the best info i can find on these forums aswell as links people have given me to other readings ncq is a designed for servers with many many I/O activities going on and does more harm than good for us single end users.

as for read cache, it was also reccomended in the benchy forum to disable that aswell, and im not entirly sure what its purpose is ive tried both ways and havnt seen negative real world perfermance with it off and it boosts burst rate up to like high 300s for me when i do.

again read that benchmark thread thouroughly if you really want to know in depth but thats what i can tell ya :D

Guest Timmay

In real life practice your going to notice SFA difference between SATA I and SATA II (1.5gbs/3.0gbs) due to the hard drive not being able to put out any where near that amount of speed/data.

Guest Kobalt
In real life practice your going to notice SFA difference between SATA I and SATA II (1.5gbs/3.0gbs) due to the hard drive not being able to put out any where near that amount of speed/data.

SFA? What is that?

As I mentioned in real world tests, a PATA & SATA drive are about neck & neck in terms of speed. If you take a 10K RPM PATA drive, that will be faster than a 7200RPM SATA 2 drive. RPM is the #1 factor for speed.

If you want faster, then RAID is the answer, but your SOL if a HD dies.

Then your answer is RAID 01, that means that you got your RAID 0 array for speed, and a mirror drive backing up that array. If 1 HD dies, your OK. If 2 die, and one is the mirror drive, then you got a problem.

So then you get paranoid, and start backing up everyday. So when the HD does die (and they ALL do), you will not lose more than 1 days work.

NCQ is basically a mini queue, that gathers all your I/O requests, and if by chance the head is moving to that location anyway, then it will service that I/O request, and then continue on with the old request, instead of finish old request, and then go to the new request.

Guest mars
SFA? What is that?

As I mentioned in real world tests, a PATA & SATA drive are about neck & neck in terms of speed. If you take a 10K RPM PATA drive, that will be faster than a 7200RPM SATA 2 drive. RPM is the #1 factor for speed.

If you want faster, then RAID is the answer, but your SOL if a HD dies.

Then your answer is RAID 01, that means that you got your RAID 0 array for speed, and a mirror drive backing up that array. If 1 HD dies, your OK. If 2 die, and one is the mirror drive, then you got a problem.

So then you get paranoid, and start backing up everyday. So when the HD does die (and they ALL do), you will not lose more than 1 days work.

NCQ is basically a mini queue, that gathers all your I/O requests, and if by chance the head is moving to that location anyway, then it will service that I/O request, and then continue on with the old request, instead of finish old request, and then go to the new request.

I really think unless you have lots of simultaneous I/O - like in a file server, NCQ won't give you much benefit. Pity, because it sounds kinda funky...