Properly install SATA (NCQ & 3gb/s)

Okay,

I have to admit, this is the first time I have ever used a sata hard drive...

I believe I have set it up correctly, but it would hurt to ask if i did right?

I did get thing in the taskbar showing safely remove hardware, which i read more about, so I guess that's alright. I just went to taskbar properties and "always hide".

1) But to enable NCQ, do I actually have to do anything, or will it automatically be enabled.

2) And, to get 3gb/s , do I just have to plug in the harddrive to my nF4 chipset connectors?

3) And last, what difference does "enable smart HDD" in the BIOS option make?

Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order for the SATA harddrive to work properly is to install the SW IDE Drivers off the Chipset Drivers (I recommend 6.70). It would automatically enable NCQ and other features that your harddrive has. The Smart feature is to monitor any issues on your harddrive at anytime you have the machine on. I've never used it and personally i don't think you need it. So does this answer your questions? :)

Guest Kobalt
"Theoretical Speed: 300.0 b/s

Burst Speed: 203.3 b/s

Sustained Speed: 75.8b/s"

HUH??

Yeah, those are pretty much correct.

SATA drives are not really any faster than the fastest IDE drives. At least, in real world testing.

Haha, yeah i know, i think the jumper's there to provide back-compatibility or something :)

I have noticed a speed increase with SATA though... I can access the drives from my computer a fraction of a second faster that my IDE