4x1gb on dfi expert ?

will it work with 1T ? dont remember .. im thinking of just getting more ram

sicne i decided to not go conroe since gaming at ultra high res isnt a huge difference ..

and i decided to wait for amd 4x4 which should be towards end of 06 ..

It will not work. At least I have tried. I tried with differen bios and tried it with X64 but could not get it to work 1T. But I think there is an entry on the OCDB by H_G with four OCZ 1gb sticks at 1T, I have to double check that.:)

Whelp, XP will only see 3 G. Ram. From my understanding, the Expert was developed to run 2x1G and 4x512 MB RAM. 4x512 can be challenging, but can be done. From what I have read, what makes Vista interesting, is that it's being developed to handle up to 4 G RAM. If you do decide to try to run 4G, you may only see 2T timings. I'd be surprised if you were able to run 1T stable. Plus XP will only utilize 3G.

Guest GripS
Its not worth the trouble IMO. Your system is one that I envy, its perfect already.:)

My thoughts exactly. Which game(or anything else) could possibly need more then what you have already? The only thing that could be faster is your CPU. Other then that you are pretty much set.

My thoughts exactly. Which game(or anything else) could possibly need more then what you have already? The only thing that could be faster is your CPU. Other then that you are pretty much set.

Have heard things about Windows XP32 only being able to address 3.2GB on current hardware. I mean, it can apparently address up to 64MB of RAM with memory addressing extensions but I don't know how to make this happen.

People do go win64 just so that they can properly address all 4GB - but the 64-bit drivers required (and lack of support from some manufacturers) mean it is definitely not worth it.

You should have a read around to see if someone has figured this out on win32.

You are also supposed to enable or disable the memory hole in the BIOS - I think it's disable - does anyone remember?

yeah i guess my processor could be faster .. right now its at 2.7 .. i just dont feel like jumping ship to conroe .. and have to get new motherboard .. cpu and ddr 2 .. i would rather sit around for the new dfi am2 board .. pick up a 35w 3800+ if i can find one and some decent mem and wait for 4x4

Guest GripS

Well your a pretty die-hard fan for AMD. I will be jumping ship on the next build unless AMD has something better to offer(which they might if they get a handle on Z-Ram). Early reviews show the midrange conroe's spanking the AMD FX-62 with minor overclocking. Even WITHOUT having an on-die memory controller. I'm curios to see how AMD responds to this though.

Just read up a little on 4x4. Sounds real expensive. Sounds like 1kilowatt PSU's will be the norm with modern systems down the road.

I will be jumping ship on the next build unless AMD has something better to offer(which they might if they get a handle on Z-Ram). Early reviews show the midrange conroe's spanking the AMD FX-62 with minor overclocking. Even WITHOUT having an on-die memory controller. I'm curios to see how AMD responds to this though.

If you're a gamer, you might want to wait and see how the new Intel processors do in real gaming benchmarks before getting too excited.

There was a reason Intel limted the early benchmarks to 1024X768 resolution with only certain hardware.

If you're a gamer, you might want to wait and see how the new Intel processors do in real gaming benchmarks before getting too excited.

There was a reason Intel limted the early benchmarks to 1024X768 resolution with only certain hardware.

Also, we all know, revision 1.0 of anything usually has issues. I'd wait and see until the reports of issues come rolling in... 16s Super Pi 1M sounds pretty interesting though :)

Have heard things about Windows XP32 only being able to address 3.2GB on current hardware. I mean, it can apparently address up to 64MB of RAM with memory addressing extensions but I don't know how to make this happen.

People do go win64 just so that they can properly address all 4GB - but the 64-bit drivers required (and lack of support from some manufacturers) mean it is definitely not worth it.

You should have a read around to see if someone has figured this out on win32.

You are also supposed to enable or disable the memory hole in the BIOS - I think it's disable - does anyone remember?

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platf...PAE/PAEmem.mspx

"...The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is also 4 GB..."

I think you are thinking about virtual address space;

"...Operating systems based on Microsoft Windows NT technologies have always provided applications with a flat 32-bit virtual address space that describes 4 gigabytes (GB) of virtual memory. The address space is usually split so that 2 GB of address space is directly accessible to the application and the other 2 GB is only accessible to the Windows executive software.

The 32-bit versions of the Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows NT Server 4.0, Enterprise Edition, operating systems were the first versions of Windows to provide applications with a 3-GB flat virtual address space, with the kernel and executive components using only 1 GB. In response to customer requests, Microsoft has expanded the availability of this support to the 32-bit version of Windows XP Professional and all 32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003..."

"...The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. When the physical RAM in the system exceeds 16 GB and the /3GB switch is used, the operating system will ignore the additional RAM until the /3GB switch is removed. This is because of the increased size of the kernel required to support more Page Table Entries. The assumption is made that the administrator would rather not lose the /3GB functionality silently and automatically; therefore, this requires the administrator to explicitly change this setting.

The /3GB switch allocates 3 GB of virtual address space to an application that uses IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE in the process header. This switch allows applications to address 1 GB of additional virtual address space above 2 GB.

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB, unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. The following example shows how to add the /3GB parameter in the Boot.ini file to enable application memory tuning:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINNT="????" /3GB

Note: "????" in the previous example can be the programmatic name of any of the following operating system versions:

Windows XP Professional

Windows Server 2003

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition

Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

Windows NT Server 4.0, Enterprise Edition..."