Sign in to follow this  
SquattingDog

WD Raptor Dead?!

Hey all,

My WD Raptor (now about 2yrs old) seems to have given up the ghost. This happened about a month ago now, when all of a sudden after a reboot, dos/windows xp loader gave an error message: "Operating System not Found". Since then I attempted to reinstall, but no go, not with XP or Vista Beta 2 on that drive.

Funny thing is this: BIOS recognises the drive fine, whether it be on SIL3114 or nF4 SATA ports. Windows does not. If i plug the drive in when windows has already loaded (plug-and-playness of sata drives) and attempt to access the disk manager, it just hangs there, trying to open the disc manager window, until i disconnect the drive. I got disc manager to see the partitions that were on it once, when plugging in when windows had already started, but otherwise, its no-go.

There was nothing important on the drive, so it's not a biggie, just a pain that its decided to die. (or so it would seem).

This is not a case of not enough power, because despite what is shown in my sig, I recently purchased a Silverstone Zeus ST75F (750w, quad 18A 12v rail) and its running all the hdds i used to run, and the optical drives, and my cpu, fans, graphics card etc, PLUS 2x Brand New 320gb Seagate perpendicular SATAII drives...with no worries whatsoever.

I was under the impression that when HDDs died, they usually stopped showing up in the BIOS first?

Questions, comments, theories? anything's welcome (I'd just love to see this drive back up and running again, as loud and annoying as it is!)

Yes just run the western digital diagnostic if it is not recognised try a diffrent cable and RMA it. Drives fail it is just part of life. You can have it cross shipped if you want I just let them ship the drive and use their packaging to return it. Make sure they get airflow on them.

I would also check the SMART info. You can do this with a GNU/Linux livecd/dvd. I also had a Raptor that died after about a year. Mine was watercooled so It doesn't seem like a cooling problem for me.

SquattingDog you should download a linux live cd and run the utility called..

smarttcl and badblocks to check your drive's integraty..

gentoo.org has a nice livecd ;)

Guest Kobalt
I was under the impression that when HDDs died, they usually stopped showing up in the BIOS first?

If you have enabled the SMART check in the BIOS, then you can at least see if the drive fails the initial SMART test.

The are different levels of a 'dead hd', and only if it is very dead that the BIOS don't detect it (or there is a problem with the BIOS detection routines).

If the motor dies, it can't spin up, but it will still show in BIOS for example.

Alright, sweet, cheers guys, I'll play around with linux tonight then...I'm also worried that my old 80Gb is on the way out...files seem to be corrupting left-right-and-centre...Windows Disk Check keeps deleting various file attributes, and orphaned files...and tries to repair indexes but cant because of "not enough disk space" (despite 50gb being free) - I'm thinking the index file needs a rebuild? Thoughts?

This is a Seagate Barracuda V that's about 4yrs old...

After a lot of stuffing around (having Linux not able to give me an image - as the binary drivers did not recognise my x1900xtx, and thus were unable to load opengl drivers for it, rendering me unable to see anything at all).

I have enabled S.M.A.R.T and the Raptor failed. I tried to do a low-level format (well, rather write 0's to it) but although it started off well, it soon fell off to a very slow speed - pretty much stopped 150kb/s is NOT HDD speed...

My 80Gb on the other hand is currently undergoing the same process, at a healthy 42000kb/s average

And no, I don't think I have a chance of RMAing it as its outside its 1 yr warranty period, and it was second hand *curses self for not following his own motto of never buying second hand hardware*

Make sure yo try other cables and SATA ports for the faulty HDD, preferably with it being the only HDD connected.

I have had HDD weirdness and the source has almost always been cables going bad in some way.

Make sure yo try other cables and SATA ports for the faulty HDD, preferably with it being the only HDD connected.

I have had HDD weirdness and the source has almost always been cables going bad in some way.

Nah, the cables are fine - I used a cable that's being used with no issues on another HDD, and have tried it with a variety of cables, jumper settings (I even put it back to how it was from the factory, tho the whole time I have owned it it hasnt been like that), and still no joy. I think it's time to bite the bullet and drop it off a cliff (aka put it neatly into a refuse bin somewhere) or $1 reserve it on Trademe (NZ's E-Bay)..

No important data on there, so no biggy.