Price Drop Athlon 64 X2/ Motherboard Compatibility

OtisN89

I'm planning on waiting for the AMD price drop, dated for July 24th, and if what I've read is true and I can get an AMD Athlon 64 X2 for $150, I will, but would it be compatible with a DFI LANParty UT SLi-DR? The Motherboard does not list Athlon 64 X2 as compatible, but I made an assumption like that before and was informed that the compatibility is often more than stated.

So after all that, basically my question is can I use an X2 with a SLi-DR or do I need a different motherboard, and if so which?

Thanks for all your help this community is great.:)

Yep its compatible Happy_Games and many others use them in thier rigs, although you may need a bios upgrade in order to recognize it, my Infinity (Lanparty's annoying little brother) accepted mine with no alterations or updates.

All bioses after 6-23 have full dual core supprtSome like the 704-2bta and some like the latest 04/06/2006.

Check out Tmod's bios Flasking and Ultility CD in the Bios section of the forum.

Ok thanks. And just to be sure you mean 04/06/2006, right? Also can I update the bios with the dual core CPU? By which I mean will the system post with the old bios and a dual core just so that I can update to the dual core compliant bios? If not I may be able to use a friends CPU until i update bios.