[Need Suggestions] Gigabyte 3D Galaxy Liquid cooling system (kit)

ReelFiles

I know a lot of you will say; "Go to DD, dude", or "Don't get a kit". My financial situation is kind of prohibitive atm, and I will have to do some major convincing to get my wife to let me buy this thing. I definitely don't want to spend more than $150, and I am not looking for anything crazy. My CPU will do 2.75GHz on air, and I am pretty much happy with that, just want to cool it better, though I wouldn't mind gaining a few MHz.

Well, I am looking at this review,

http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/e107_plugins/co...p?content.271.1

It looks like one of the best starter kits, I've seen for the price.

A few things that made me look at this product;

3/8 ID tubing (should be plenty of flow for me)

MOSFET cooling fan included

Nice radiator shroud (easy to mod for a lot of mounting options)

3dgalaxy53.jpg

The water block seems decent (scroll down for pics).

Things I don't care for;

I am a little weary about the diagonal positioning of the water block barbs. It looks as if the tube might be pushing against the lower stick of RAM.

3dgalaxy58.jpg

(I guess someone should tell the reviewer about the extra 4-pin power connector and floppy connector, he failed to connect :rolleyes:)

I would also want to get better clips, the ones included look kind of weak to me.

3dgalaxy11.jpg

The acrylic barbs should be ok, but I would rather have threaded ones

3dgalaxy23.jpg

I guess a peltier wouldn't work with this block, as it has limited contact.

3dgalaxy20.jpg

Has anyone seen one of these in action? Any other thoughts?

My thought is save up another $150 if you can, you know wait a month or something and save that extra, I spent $300 going with DD, and its worth it, really going with a smaller and less expensive kit might result in a WC setup thats just as good as your air heatsink.

Just put this kit together, only $168, its like 20 bucks more than you want to spend but really its only 20 bucks....and its still a great kit...

CPU Style: AMD64 754/939/940

CPU Water Block: Danger Den TDX

Top Style: Lucite - Clear

Video Card Water Block: None

Chipset Water Block: None

Fitting Size: 1/2 OD High Flow Fitting for 1/2 ID Tubing

Radiator: Black Ice Xtreme - Black

Fans: None

Pumps: !NEW! Danger Den 12V MAG-II LE Pump with 1/2 OD Fittings

Tubing: 7 Feet of Tygon

Reservoir: None

Thermal Paste: None

Water Additives: 12oz Zerex Super Coolant

Danger Den Fillport: Black Anodized Fillport and Tee

Fillport Reservoir: None

Misc: 12 Hose Clamps Y & T

And you will need a decent 120mm fan for the radiator, SVC has got some for like 5 or 6 bucks....and some distilled water for the zerex...but all in all this to me seems like the best option...

Hey did you see the post above this, and also that was a thought of mine, I was interested in it until I realized the only thing it could ever cool would be the processor so I decided water cooling so I could cool my GPUs as well, I plan on upgrading if I can sell my 7800s... The post above is a water cooling kit for like $160 ish

Yeah well the Radiator I chose for the $168 would only cool the processor, cooling a GPU with small rad like that would be hard...but really for a basic kit and a good one at that i think it would be the best way to go...play around at Danger Dens web site and see if you can put together something in you price range....

I had the same problem as well, I based the kit I made you off of a kit that Danger Den built and made a video of, it used two radiators and cooled a graphics card which you arent doing, so one Radiator, meant for 120 mm fan would do the trick, check out the forum at Danger Den, it takes a while to get an answer so I normally just look through the threads and search for my answers...

CPU Style: AMD64 754/939/940

CPU Water Block: Danger Den TDX

Top Style: Lucite - Clear

Video Card Water Block: None

Chip set Water Block: None

Fitting Size: 1/2 OD High Flow Fitting for 1/2 ID Tubing

Radiator: Black Ice Xtreme - Black

Fans: None

Pumps: !NEW! Danger Den 12V MAG-II LE Pump with 1/2 OD Fittings

Tubing: 7 Feet of Tygon

Reservoir: Clear Cylindrical Reservoir

Thermal Paste: None

Water Additives: None

Danger Den Fillport: Blue Anodized Fillport and Tee

Fillport Reservoir: Yes (Must order a Fillport above)

Misc: 12 Hose Clamps

$206.59

Is a Fillport reservoir necessary?

I am still interested in the product in my first post, any thoughts/info are welcome and appreciated.

The DD kit outlined above should work much better than the gigabyte one. I'd imagine that you wouldn't get much better temps than air with that one, while the DD 'kit' could potentially do a lot better. (depending on ambient of course).

Edit:

Don't forget the 20% off coupon code.

You don't NEED the reservoir, I kinda like it but it certainly isn't necessary. Just easier for me to see the level of water in there. I hate to increase the cost, but I really think you might want to get a 2x120mm radiator, depending on the price. You gain a lot more surface area, and should you ever cool a gpu, you'll already have that.