FPS cap in Doom3, Quake 4 and Prey

turok_t

Hey guys, I enjoy playing those games and my FPS is always capped at 60-61fps. Is there a way to remove the cap?!!? Thanks.

I got this information off TweakGuides.com so you might want to look over it since it has all three games that you are looking for...

Doom3

com_fixedTic [-1,0,1] - If set to 0 (the default) Doom 3's ticrate is capped at 60FPS, meaning the game framerate cannot exceed this, except when running a timedemo. If you want to remove this cap, set com_fixedTic to -1. Setting it to 1 removes the cap, but causes the game physics to go out of sync. Removing the FPS cap doesn't necessarily improve performance, and can lead to more variable framerates. Note that com_fixedTic -1 doesn't work as of the latest patch.

Quake4

com_fixedTic [-1,0,1] - If set to 0 (the default) Quake 4's ticrate is capped at 60, meaning the game framerate cannot exceed 60FPS, except when running a timedemo. If you want to remove this cap, set com_fixedTic to -1. Setting it to 1 removes the cap, but causes the game physics to go out of sync. Removing the FPS cap doesn't necessarily improve performance, and can lead to more variable framerates. Any frames over 60FPS will typically be duplicates and hence there is no real performance benefit. Note that as of the 1.04 patch that com_fixedtic -1 is no longer accepted, 0 and 1 are the only working options.

Prey

com_fixedTic [0,1] - If set to 0 (the default) Prey's ticrate is capped at 60, meaning the game framerate cannot exceed 60FPS. If you want to remove this cap, set com_fixedTic to 1, but this causes the game physics to go out of sync. Note, com_fixedTic -1 is no longer supported in recent builds of the Doom 3 engine.

Note: I've heard by setting the Triple Buffer option in your GFX CARD display it would help these games. Like i said look over them. Good Luck ;)

Thanks for your reply Mack27. That was actually a really big help. I will try those console commands as soon as possible. BTW, what is the command to show fps in prey?? I dont want to keep on using FRAPS. Thanks for all your help again! I greatly appreciate it!!

Son, didn't i tell you to go to that site and look up things for more information? Now now....

com_showFPS [0,1] - If set to 1, shows the current frame rate in Frames Per Second (FPS) at the top right of the screen. If set to 0, disables the counter.