AS5 Probs...

red930

Ok...my temps before applying AS5 were around 49-50C (full load & according to everest) and now after trying to apply it 3 more times...my temps are higher :(

First, I tried spreading it out very thinly and evenly with a credit card...temps were 51-52C

Then, I tried the grain of rice method...must've put to much on first time because my temps were 51-52C again..... then, the second time, i put as close to the same amount as arctic silver did on their website (a tiny amount)...and my temps are still higher...they're sitting at 53C right now

what am i doing wrong?

and i have the stock AMD HSF

Your second application was perfect. AS5 also can take up to 200hr of power cycles to fully cure. Which then you could see a temp drop of 3ºC – 5ºC. Too much AS5 could give you temp issues too.

Your second application was perfect. AS5 also can take up to 200hr of power cycles to fully cure. Which then you could see a temp drop of 3ºC – 5ºC. Too much AS5 could give you temp issues too.

ok...so initially my temps will be higher...even if i put the correct amount on?

You can try cleaning your IHS with 99.9% alcohol first to get all the remains off. Second you can try again with another small amount in the middle of your IHS. How did you clean your HSF (The bottom portion of course)? Have you tried lapping it yet? I mean is it deeply scratch or can you even see anything like that on there. Usually it will take awhile for the AS5 to finally settle, so i'm not sure how you've used it before. Also do you happen to have an intake 120mm high speed fan on your side case window? Blowing air onto your processor, memory, and power regulators?

I cleaned it with 91% alcohol (highest i could find around here)

I cleaned both the HSF and processor with the alcohol & 2x2 cotton pads

This is my first time using AS5

and i have a 80mm fan on my side panel

Guest caffeinejunkie

See if the retainer bracket is lose or can be tightened. But dont over tighten lol Ive lost too many bracket screws that way :D

Alrighty... i shut down folding so i'm now idle...

I'm using everest and it reports the

"CPU" temp as 50°C

and

"CPU Diode" as 33°

now under load my temps are

CPU: 51°C

CPU Diode: 46°C

so which temp should i more concerned about? CPU? or CPU Diode?

Guest caffeinejunkie
stock AMD heatpipe HSF = clamp on = no bracket or anything ;)

I know that lol I mean the stock neon yellow dfi bracket. Ive had mine be somewhat loose before. How it got like that I dont know but tightening decreased my temps so it wasnt making 100% contact.

I know that lol I mean the stock neon yellow dfi bracket. Ive had mine be somewhat loose before. How it got like that I dont know but tightening decreased my temps so it wasnt making 100% contact.

ahhh...i'll have to check that ;)