Divider,

t1no

Well i want to increase the FSB of my 3700+ San Diego but i don't want to mess with my rams, so wondering how to make a divider? I have read many guides but i haven't seen much about how to divide.

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure any attempt to run the ram on a divider will require you to set upp ALL your ram timings. I'd suggest reading one of the guides, basically you want to go into genie bios, set your ram onto a divider and then set all the timings from auto to a certain value otherwise the motherboard will default all the values for the timings to what they would be for 166 or what ever you set the divider for. So that means if you increase the fsb it'll make your ram go faster but have extremely low timings which will probably cause crashes and problems

You should be able to lower the divider without having to touch any other RAM timings.

If they're left at auto, they will take the timings from the SPD on the RAM modules and should work fine.

Jus try keep the RAM as close to its stock speed as possible (200mhz DDR400)

I'm pretty sure any attempt to run the ram on a divider will require you to set upp ALL your ram timings. I'd suggest reading one of the guides, basically you want to go into genie bios, set your ram onto a divider and then set all the timings from auto to a certain value otherwise the motherboard will default all the values for the timings to what they would be for 166 or what ever you set the divider for. So that means if you increase the fsb it'll make your ram go faster but have extremely low timings which will probably cause crashes and problems

I am a little confused, i just want to make a divider so i can only increase the FSB for my cpu not rams.

You can raise the HTT(FSB) for the CPU and use a divider that has been calculated to be at DDR500. So either use 1:1 sync (CPU + Memory) run at the same speed or use a divider that will up the cpu to the amount and the memory to DDR500. I would personally use 250HTT(FSB) and run the memory frequencies at 200, so the memory would than be running at 250 (DDR500) which it's rated at.

Here is a little utility you can use to figure out what you want to do...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96678

You should be able to lower the divider without having to touch any other RAM timings.

If they're left at auto, they will take the timings from the SPD on the RAM modules and should work fine.

Jus try keep the RAM as close to its stock speed as possible (200mhz DDR400)

Why do i have to change the timings? i don't want to touch my rams or oc it, i just want to mess around with my cpu. Ok what if i don't want to use a divider and just want to increase the FSB, what happens then?

t1no

I would suggest you read some of the sticky's on overclocking as its totally apparent you have no idea what overclocking involves.

If you wish to just overclock your CPU, you MUST use a divider so the ram will not increase also.

To increase the CPU speed you must up the HTT from 200mhz to whatever, but this in turn will ALSO increase the RAM speed, in order to avoid this, and only OC the CPU, you MUST use a divider.

Please read the sticky's on overclocking

OK, lets try a little different way of looking at this.

First download the Overclocking Guide! (This is easer to read / print)

LINK

You NEED to read it ALL, but there are a couple of pages that I think will begin to give you the insite you seek.

Go to pages 16 - 18 of the guide.

This explains how to first put minimum stress on your ram (very low divider) to allow the Max OC on the CPU.

Once you do that, you ease back on the CPU while finding the best your Ram can do.

Finally you can put it all together.

There are no good, certain, shortcuts.

Luck, and get reading!