Raid card not working, help please

Hi Guys,

i need some help.

At the moment i boot from scsi using esc at the boot, cose the bios doesn't see my adaptec cards. The tech guys don't anything about and no bios update has been released since WWII.

I am lookiing to take out my SCSI dirves from my pc and use only my 2 x 200 GB as storage and my 2 x 80GB for the OS (Raid 0).

The 2 IDE drives are connected to and Adaptec 1200A. When the system boots up the card is not shown on the list or in the bios. This carddoesnt exist till windows is up.

This is really annoing me because you can't select the boot device :mad: .

There is any way around this?

Thank you

would it be feasible to change your drives around. i.e. use your adaptec card for the optical drives, and then run the hard drives with the hardware raid on the MB? i know windows will have to be installed with the raid drivers, but that might solve your problems.

this would make it so that you can't boot from an optical drive, but the trade off is that you'll be able to boot from the hard drives.

your adaptec card should have raid drivers that allow you to install windows to those drives. that way windows will load the driver first from the bootsector, then continue to load the rest of windows from the raid setup.

anyways, i think that adaptec is more the problem then your mother board, you might check with them about this issue.

• 2 months later...

The Adaptec cards might not be his problem, but it's interesting that I'm having the same problem in my NF4 Ultra-D motherboard. I tried two different Adaptec cards - a 2940UW and a 2920C. The DFI board will not play nice with either board, but I can put either of them in an ancient ECS K7S5A (Barton 2500+) and they both work perfectly.

The Adaptec cards allow you to modify the low-level operations of the board by pressing CTRL-A at some point during the boot. When loaded in my DFI, the 2940 displays the CTRL-A message, but when trying to load, the utility comes back with "There is no SCSI host bus adapter". With the 2920C installed the CTRL-A message never appears and the board will not respond to CTRL-A.

With either card in the DFI board, trying to poll the SCSI bus causes the machine to reboot.

I'd be interested in knowing if others have working setups with these two older HBAs.