Jammed in power connector cause damage?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, regarding your CPU its worth trying to contact AMD. AMD (europe atleast) have been known in the past to replace A64 processors with up to 5 broken pins, I have had a good experience with this. I only had 1 broken pin but "5 broken pins" was something I was told by the customer support staff over the phone.

Otherwise, might aswell send it off for repair with that other guy.. but an AMD RMA would be better since you then get warranty again. And yes yes.. people say manufacturers wont take back hardware thats damaged and its in breach of AMDs warranty.. but they do it. Infact the website RMA form includes an "appearance" drop down list that includes things like "burnt" "cracked" "burnt/cracked/broken pins", and selecting broken pins does NOT outright result in a failed RMA, they still took it in & sent a replacement a few weeks later (it was rather slow).

And why would they do that? Because theres 939 pins to play with :P hehe

Good luck with your kit

Ok my dfi rma should hopefully arrive by Friday, hoping that and a processor was all i needed!

And sounds like a great idea b-w-d have nothing to lose will try once i get a chance to call amd rma before they close.

thanks, will post back when i have new info.

• 2 weeks later...

The Problem:

I think i had one of my power connectors half plugged into the motherboard when i powered it on, and thats why i smelled smoke, after that my standby led would still light on my motherboard but it wouldnt react to me hitting the power button.

Question is:

What are my chances that using this damaged or not psu could ruin my new hardware im hooking up to it ?

thanks

BIG UPDATE:

I recieved my new x2 3800 and my dfi rma MB and the problem was definately the motherboard, which was the reason it wasnt working dual channel, it wasnt even making beep noises at startup. So i ended up getting a working MB after 2 defective ones.

Lol that was my welcome into building pcs.

There was a problem though i built up my pc and everything was hookedup correctly the second i hit the power button my harddrive sets on fire(it really set on fire a flame about the size of a regular lighter) so i hit the power right away. MY room smelled like smoke for a while and one of the small black square pieces on it melted and shows burnt around it.

I couldnt afford to lose the data on it so i connected it again turned it on and it booted up successfully into windows burned 2 quicks cds and turned it off.

MY QUESTION THOUGH is what risk do i run running that hard drive trieng to recover the rest of my data which would be burning about 60GB onto dvds. And if i try that should i throw this hd away or would any of u consider it safe to use after that happened and how it is now.

THANKS

Umm Honestly if your hard drive cought on fire its gone unless you want to pay thousands of dollars recovering the data. And second of all I am kinda doubting it was on fire, because there isn't that much in there that could burn except for silicon which is rather hard to catch on fire. When you turned the computer on again did the hard drive work?

I had everything connected outside of the case so i clearly saw it catch on fire, i know its unbelievable but a flame about the size of a regular lighters flame.. thats my luck.

And i did try to boot back up with it and it worked and i was able to burn about 2 dvds worth of data, but am wandering if i use it again if i run a risk of it damaging the rest of my hardware since my harddrive looks damaged

The fact that it works at all makes me wonder if it was something external to the drive -- maybe something was shorting just the power that burned-off as soon as power was applied?

What burned? (Picture?). Could it have been a faulty power connector or something on the drive?

I've had a Western Digital drive catch fire just as you explained, but I wasn't building the rig at the time, it was working fine for 3 years, then one day I smelled smoke, looked in the side of the PC and saw the PCB on the drive burning. It was my secondary drive so I was still in Windows when it happened. Before I had a chance to hit the kill switch, my PSU shut down. The drive was dead and it killed the PSU as well.

I lost 200Gb of data and a $170 PSU. That sucked.

That drive is deadly, don't use it again, unless you are willing to kill some more components.