Jammed in power connector cause damage?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well unless theres someone who can make pins and meld them back on to the processor im out of luck since i already lost 2 and a few of them got bent worse in the process of trieng to fix it.

About the smoke smell:

Recently I built a second low-fi rig that will serve as a 24/7 downloading machine. After searching around the house I gathered enough hardware to build a basic system (PIII 450Mhz, QDI 440BX mobo etc, 350W PSU, a basic mini case etc..).

Now, the system initially came to life with 256mb of ram in 2 sdram sticks. The next day I was cleaning my car's interior and I found a double-sided 256mb sdram dimm under the rear seats (I know, I know). It must have been sitting there for at least 1,5 years.

I immediatelly plugged it in the third dimm slot and powered on the system. Hmmm. Something was wrong. The pc would not post and the screen was blank. The familiar (to us geeks, at least) scent of burning silicone reached my nostrils, and I pulled the power cable.

The dimm had been placed incorrectly in it's slot ("incorrectly" is a euphimism in this case). It was scorching hot after I turned off the system.

"Well, that's that" I thought.

But guess what, I removed the dimm, waited for it cool down and placed it in the slot again.

The system has been working flawlessly for days now... Go figure.

I guess old hardware is much more resilient than the newer stuff...

hope, im as lucky as you silencer and my pc just wasnt booting because i moved the heatsink a little making sure it was tight ending up in twisting the pins on the processor instead of it being because it all got burned out by me leaving part of the power connector hooked only.

Id try it out and mail my processor to the guy in Utah but have no idea how to get a hold of him.

I recieved my dfi rma number so it will be shipping out Monday probably.

just to make sure i can just wrap the motherboard only in bubble wrap put it in a standard box get a shipping label through ups , write down the rma number on it and im done ?

Hello,

- Put the board in the anti static bag.

- Wrap it in some kind of padding.

- Place it in the original DFI box.

- Make sure it does not move around in the original DFI box.

- Wrap the DFI box with more padding or foam/polystryrene bits.

- Place that is another bigger box.

- Make sure the DFI box does not move around in the bigger box.

All done and ready.

Remember to write down all markings on the board/serial numbers.

(Maybe take a picture of each serial number)

Do you think the sound module is faulty?

thanks sharp, so after i do all that i just write down the rma number on the outside of the box, or put a sheet inside with rma number or how else would they know to expect my package.

The thing is im not 100 % sure if my sound module is faulty or not since i dont know if my board short circuited and it would of affected that.

Also would the correct dfi rma address be :

DFISan Jose 30991 San Clemente St. Hayward, CA 94545

thanks