Sign in to follow this  
Nethingwilldo

CFX3200 Boot Problem

Well I finally got hold of a PS2 keyboard and got the ULI driver installed so that I could load windows... Woo Hoo! However now I`ve got a weird Problem when i boot the system, just after the windows logo appears and windows loads the logon screen, the system then either boots straight into windows as it should or... it takes like 10mins of blank screen b4 it eventually decides to load windows. Another issue I noticed is that I can no longer use the windows CD to boot from and reinstall, setup just freezes if I try. So not really sure how I can reinstall :eek:

Any idea what could be causing this? Bearing in mind the system is rock stable when its in windows and even runs games fine.

These DFI motherboards come with a BUILT-IN memory tester to assure stability and error free. MEMTEST86 needs to be enabled in the Bios in order to go through the test right after the POST TEST. First, please make sure you have gone through everything in the Bios and adjusted what you need and don't need (Using HD and no floppy, aren't going to use ON-BOARD Audio, ect....ect...). Second, try going into the CPU/MEMORY configuration and adjust what you can. HTT(FSB) 200x (Multiplier) whatever it is on the 4400+ and give it the proper voltage(called Vcore). Make sure you memory timings are correct along with the Frequencies because at 200MHz. Another thing make sure you have the right amount of Voltage for your memory (called Vdimm). Finally, you should be error free from running MEMTEST86 for over 9hrs or you can manually just set TEST#5 run about 35-40 passes if possible. You need to be patient okay? Another thing make sure all the power plugs are connected to the motherboard properly. I hope this helps....

Well after running memtest for about an hour, the system froze. I also noticed the modules are quite warm,l like 41 celcius under no load, is this normal? I am running them at 2.55V and 3-3-3-8 timings. Any Ideas If its my timings causing the lockups in memtest or if its faulty modules themselves?

Right well this is what todays testing has told me, i ran memtest and made sure all my FSB/DRAM sttings were sorted as Mack said. Now I can get windows to boot correctly if I only use one module in the 1st yellow slot furthest from the CPU. However if I insert a second module I get the same unpredictable results as before.(same result if i use both yellow or both orange slots). Any more thoughts on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. BTW I now have the BETA BIOS update runnning.

Right well this is what todays testing has told me, i ran memtest and made sure all my FSB/DRAM sttings were sorted as Mack said. Now I can get windows to boot correctly if I only use one module in the 1st yellow slot furthest from the CPU. However if I insert a second module I get the same unpredictable results as before.(same result if i use both yellow or both orange slots). Any more thoughts on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. BTW I now have the BETA BIOS update runnning.

Refer to this prime stable database for your type of memory.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=cfx3200

Oops! There's a stock database entry in the stickies. Try that too!

Those are the settings I am using, seems to be ok atm if i switch the modules round and use the yellow slots, is it normal for one module from an identical pair to dislike a slot that the other module is fine using?

Those are the settings I am using, seems to be ok atm if i switch the modules round and use the yellow slots, is it normal for one module from an identical pair to dislike a slot that the other module is fine using?

Don't know cause it has never happened to me. But it might be that one module is damaged. You can memtest each module separately using stable settings and find out.