Brand new board, no display.

Hi all,

Bear with me 'cause I'm a bit of a noob. Anyway, I followed Angrys tutorial and set up the board on the padding, plugged in minimal hardware (1 stick ram, GPU, KB, Mouse, CPU of course). When I hit the power button the fans spin up (on the GPU, CPU and chipset) and there is no video output. No beeps, and the four diagnostic lights are all on. I cant tell from the manual whether all on means it cant even find the cpu, or it thinks its booting (not sure whether dark rectangles mean lights are on or off in the manual).

Am I missing something obvious? what? Thanks in advance.

The 4 leds mean system startup. then they should go to 3,2,1 then none and the system boots and post. Have you installed all the power connectors? 24 pin, 8 pin and the FDD connector right above the first PCIE slot. These all need to be plugged in for proper system stability. Memory goes in the fartherest orange slot from the CPU. Your keyboard and mouse need to be PS2 to start. After which you can go USB -enabling in the BIOS. Do not install any hard drives,floppy or CD/DVD drives until you can get the system to post. Try this and see what happens. Keep us posted.

I've got the power connected as per the tutorial (even though the "fdd connector above the pcie slot" is labeled "Fan 3"). Nothing but the bare minimum is connected, and I'm using all ps/2 stuff.....

Edit: There is no molex connector around the chipset fan, as is shown in the tutorial, so I havent plugged that in (no where for it...). It is mentioned in the "no boot cmos clear" stickey, but I have no such connector on the mobo. Gonna try the no boot reset stickey. Any ideas of course are very very appreciated!

Thats the one Ive been using; the quick install guide calls it 5v/12v in print, but the photo of the board shows printed on hte board "fan 3" which is what ive got. Obviously this is a misprint on the pcb.

"no boot" clear didnt work; no beeping when I hold the insert key after performing the procedure. Also, the numlock key doesnt light up, indicating that the kb has no power?? So we're stuck with the mobo trying to find the cpu...

Got it, plugged it in, same problem. :confused:

Edit: Tried a 30 second clear, will try ten mins and get back to u. (just unplug, remove batt, drain capacitors, and reset jumper for 10 mins, right?)

Thats the one Ive been using; the quick install guide calls it 5v/12v in print, but the photo of the board shows printed on hte board "fan 3" which is what ive got. Obviously this is a misprint on the pcb.

The board in the quick install guide is not a expert board.Notice the where the memory dimms are.The expert board has one less power source plug in than the nf4,sli,Dr,ultra boards.

oooook, so I should or shouldnt have the power plugged into my "fan 3" port.....My "Expert" board shows the same marking on that connector as the quick install guide shows. Dont think it matters; I tried booting with and without that plugged in. Am in the middle of a cmos clear, so we'll see what happens...

Well, an hour later its doing the same thing. The fans and lights all come on, but its as if its not detecting the presence of a cpu (according to the leds). Any further ideas? Anything I can do about checking the cpu?

Edit: After a 12 hour clear, still the same problem. Other diagnostic suggestions? Thanks.