nforce4 sli-dr RAID question

hello,

i remember in the olden days when you would connect say a ultra 66 drive and a ultra 133 drive on an ide controller that they would both assume the lower speed.

i am now just wondering if the same is true for the raid0 on the nforce4 - ie i have 2 sata150 drives and intend on buying 2 sata300s - will the sata300s also run at 150 or 300?

you might try to convince me that raid0 is not the way forward, but thats not going to change at all - i think its quicker, and for me thats all thats important!

thanks in advance!

It is quicker. No argument.

I blew an ASUS mobo a while back and had two 120s on a RAID 0. When I changed motherboards, the RAID was unrecognizable. I wound up purchasing a 300 and having to run third-party software to restore it.

So faster, abosultely. But depending on what happens you may spend many hours troubleshooting a problem such as when the drives fault out or if one dies.

And you have to ask, are the many milliseconds of saved time worth the hours/days/weeks or frustration?

As per your question, I do not know off of the top of my head, but I strongly suspect because it's a RAID 0, all the drives will have to be communicating at a common speed, or else they'd fault out. I may be wrong on this, however.

in raid, the driver will work at the speed of the slowest drive, and have the storage capacity of the smallest drive

Exemple #1: sata150 with ata133 in raid 0, sata drive will work at ata133 speed,

exemple #2: 100gb with 80gb ata 133 in raid 0, array will be 80*2, 20 gb of the 100gb hard drive will be lost, both will work at ata133 speed

exemple #3 : 300gb sata150 with 320gb sata300 : both drive will work a sata150 speed and the array will be 300*2

i hope this help

yes, but ill be having two seperate arrays -

1 running the 2 sata150s

and the other running the 2 sata300s.

i understand that there are 2 nvidia controllers, and a single sii3114 controller.

surely this should mean that i can run the 2 300s at 300 and push come to shove, put the sata150s on the sii3114?

In Device Manager each channel has its own setting for SATA speed, so you should be able to run each drive at whatever speed it is capable of without interfering with the others. Although I dont think you will gain much speed increase using 300 because drives can't operate at that speed anyway really. Except maybe burst speeds from the drive's hardware cache.

Post here what speed difference you see!