Ubuntu Live CD problems..

n1ce_hat

Hey, i saw somewhere a link to a free Ubuntu CD.. so i applied and it showed up right away in the mail. I booted it up, selected Live CD, and i get some random flashy screen constantly. I tried selecting "save graphics mode" and i get the same thing.

If i have time, i'll post a little video of what i'm talking about..

i'm not a hardcore Linux fan, but i definitly want to see what it's all about.. and a live CD is right up my alley.

edit: the cd says "version 6.06 lts for your pc"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Timmay

Wow, I have been using Ubuntu 06.06 for the past few weeks and I'm LOVING it, I have even gone out and bought a Celeron 1000Mhz just to run it on at home. Its great software and there are heaps of features... Use this website here for a lot of help: Ubuntu Dapper

Edit: just as a tip to find something, don't use the search field on the left just hit Ctrl + F and do it that way;)

Guest Kobalt
Hey, i saw somewhere a link to a free Ubuntu CD.. so i applied and it showed up right away in the mail. I booted it up, selected Live CD, and i get some random flashy screen constantly. I tried selecting "save graphics mode" and i get the same thing.

If i have time, i'll post a little video of what i'm talking about..

i'm not a hardcore Linux fan, but i definitly want to see what it's all about.. and a live CD is right up my alley.

edit: the cd says "version 6.06 lts for your pc"

Did you get the 64bit or 32bit version?

Wow, I have been using Ubuntu 06.06 for the past few weeks and I'm LOVING it, I have even gone out and bought a Celeron 1000Mhz just to run it on at home. Its great software and there are heaps of features... Use this website here for a lot of help: Ubuntu Dapper

yeah, i heard it's all that and then some, and i've always liked Mac OS because it's different.. i dont think i could ever "switch" over to Mac, but I like the concept of a totally different set of tools, just for awhile. Ubuntu seems to fill this void in my life, because i dont have to blow a couple G's just to get set up.

Edit: just as a tip to find something, don't use the search field on the left just hit Ctrl + F and do it that way;)

i do this in firefox regularly, but how does that search the whole site?

Did you get the 64bit or 32bit version?

i got both, actually.. and the Mac version. i tried it with the 32bit version i hope.. maybe i'll try it with one of the other CDs.. when i ordered, i had the choice of mac, 32b, 64b, or a 10-pack that included all of them, with lots of 32-bit versions.

i got the 10 pack :)

edit: d'oh! why did i try the 32-bit version!? that explains a whole lot.. i betcha i could fix this problem real quick, i'll test it out after my defrag is done.

Guest Timmay

Yep, same here... I was looking at getting a small lone and droping it for a Mac Book Pro, the one that uses Intel CPU so I could boot between MAC/Windows but now I have found Ubuntu, I'm now no longer interested in mac.

For some reason when I try using the side box to search it never finds anything for me, It doesn't matter as all the information is on that one page anyway so Ctrl + F works a charm.

This post was made using Ubuntu on a 500MHz celeron at work :P ( It OC's to 542MHs lol )

Yep, same here... I was looking at getting a small lone and droping it for a Mac Book Pro, the one that uses Intel CPU so I could boot between MAC/Windows but now I have found Ubuntu, I'm now no longer interested in mac.

For some reason when I try using the side box to search it never finds anything for me, It doesn't matter as all the information is on that one page anyway so Ctrl + F works a charm.

This post was made using Ubuntu on a 500MHz celeron at work :P ( It OC's to 542MHs lol )

i have an old 10-gigger drive sitting in my case right now, i unplugged it because it's really noisy, but i might format it and use it for dualbooting.. also, i want to set up a file-server for my iso's, mp3's, and dvd's in my basement, i hear linux is a good way to go with that as well.

Guest Timmay

You got it buddy, Im tracking down a 100GB+ IDE drive to slap in to my Ubuntu machine at home so I can atleast stick ISO's/videos on it that I don't need to always have on my main machine!

You got it buddy, Im tracking down a 100GB+ IDE drive to slap in to my Ubuntu machine at home so I can atleast stick ISO's/videos on it that I don't need to always have on my main machine!

i'm going to go SATA all the way, i already have a whole machine ready to go, but i dont have any networking equipment (the system is going to be in the basement, and me and my neighbor are going to be able to access it).

i want to go wired LAN, but the wires have to string quite a ways.. i want to get some wireless stuff going, but i have to find a decent router first. one day..

Guest Timmay

Yeah I would be picking up SATA drives if the motherboard had SATA ports :P

Best thing I like about it all is if you need some software you just fire up "Add And Remove Programs" And select what you want to download and it does it all for you all for free... Geze thats awsome.

Yeah I would be picking up SATA drives if the motherboard had SATA ports :P

Best thing I like about it all is if you need some software you just fire up "Add And Remove Programs" And select what you want to download and it does it all for you all for free... Geze thats awsome.

wow, that is cool!