Ultra-D amnesia ?

Guest Kobalt_merged

Guest Kobalt

This is so very strange. Today, when I went to boot my machine, there was a really long delay at the detecting the IDE/SATA drives stage. It found all the IDEs, but none of the SATA drives.

So I power off, check power, and cables, and all check out.

I boot again, and same thing.

Then I power off from main, and swap the SATA cables to use different ports.

Power on again... same thing.

WTH?

Go into BIOS, all is fine. Check the detection screen, hit enter, and it can't find any of the SATA drives. (WTH!!)

Break out the meter, check the voltages, and all are spot on. Cable check, voltages check, it is just BIOS don't see the SATA drives.

Well, I figure I will boot into windows to see what the deal is. Can't do that, it does a BSOD, and reboots the machine VERY early in the boot process. (ARGGHH!!)

I finally said screw it, and cleared the CMOS.

Well, that did the trick, but *WHY* ?

It is back to detecting all drives, and even after multiple power on/offs.

Can't figure out why al of the sudden, the Ultra-D got a case of amnesia, and couldn't detect the SATA drives. These are new SATA drives, and even my external SATA drive wasn't detected.

Very strange stuff going on!

It is pretty obvious the issue is with the BIOS, however, I am puzzled if nothing is written to it, then why the case of amnesia?

I have the same problem, every time I entered BIOS and saved, it seemed to "lose" the SATA drive. I ended up having to set the bios up for os install, then saving and rebooting.

Yep sure enough, SATA drive was gone. Turn off PC, switch SATA cable around on one of the 4 ports, reboot. Didn't enter BIOS this time, SATA is detected fine. OS install went through fine.

Flashing the bios from factory to 4/6/06 BIOS has seemed to help fix this problem for me, haven't had any amnesia for a while.

Guest Kobalt

That is the BIOS I had when I first set up my machine (2006/04/06).

So far, no amnesia again yet. Here is hoping.

I don't know if it is possible, but I was looking for a BIOS settings dump utility, so I can dump them to a file, then the next time it happens, compare the two settings, to see what is up.