DFI RS482 anyone ever had one ?

SFF = Small Form Factor :)

HG what kind of HSF are us using?

Thermalright SLK-948U on an X2 4400+ without heatspreader ;)

pics coming soon as i just busted up 4x 4" red CCFL's (now I just need a red 120mm LED fan in the back instead of green so this stupid thing stops looking like an Xmas case)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(now I just need a red 120mm LED fan in the back instead of green so this stupid thing stops looking like an Xmas case)

ROFL!

Again, it's a good board, and a breeze to install. Commenting on JQ's review, I think "Auto" is pretty intuitive. If you don't have it installed/configured on your mobo, Auto will mean "disabled." And vice-versa. Unless I'm reading it wrong, too... :eek:

But leaving all the setting in "Auto" made for a pretty easy install... :)

PM

I don't believe anyone has mentioned anything about "installing". Certainly, if you leave the BIOS settings on "Auto" and simply insert your new Opteron 165 into the socket, it's going to "install" quickly and easily.

But that is like saying "Diet Water". Of course it's "Diet", it's water.

So the issue of "ease of installing" does not even need to be mentioned. If it were difficult to install, that would be one of the first issues mentioned, which would then be compared to it's ability to overclock. Weighing the ease of the board's installation against it's capabilities to overclock.

However that issue has not been raised here.

The issue (at least my issue) is that the board has some areas that could use some improvement. Some may be more technically difficult (such as placing the CMOS battery in a more convenient location), but others are no more complicated than spelling the word "disabled" correctly.

Also (unless I am on the intellectual fringes of the computer-literate culture) "Auto" is synonymous with "Variable", with the implication that the condition (or setting) may change based on other factors, as in "Automatic".

However, "Disabled" is black & white. It's OFF. No ambiguity here. My point is that if the setting defaults to "OFF", then the label in the BIOS ought to be "Disabled". "Auto" implies that if you are changing other settings, the condition of the "Auto" setting may change, which greatly increases the confusion and number of questions while engaging in what may be the risky activity of overclocking a $300.00 (now $250) CPU.

It has to do with how much effort DFI is attempting to "connect" with their customers. Their NEW customers that may have purchased their product only because of what they have read from current owners in forums like this one. The mispelled words, and the lack of adequate explanation of the BIOS settings all go to support the assertion that there is a deficiency in the level of Customer Service that has been given to the purchaser's of this board. And while this is not a "critical" flaw (I still like the board), it is a significant one that could be easily solved.

I've been using it regularly while testing the board's limits. I still have to "physically reset the board" (I assume this means remove the CMOS battery & unplug the PSU.) occasionally.

But the CMOS settings sometimes reset without the Failed OC funtion even having a chance to work. The OC fails, the system reboots and the "CMOS checksum error, defaults loaded" message appears.

I am wondering if this is the same symptom others are describing, and if it can be fixed by using one of the custom (or Beta) BIOS's.