Still No Luck with Super PI...

My 3500 Venice used to do 33mins on SuperPI at stock settings (2.2ghz DDR400 3-3-3-8). However as of lately, stock settings have been giving me times of 42mins and over. I checked various sources on the internet such as http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?nam...ewtopic&p=12545 and a lot of people (not just this particular guy) were doing 33mins on stock, just like I used to do... Now I am overclocked @ 2.64Ghz with the following settings:

Genie BIOS Settings:

FSB Bus Frequency............................. - 264

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - X 3.0

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - X 10.0

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... - 100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value......................... - Startup

CPU VID Control............................... - 1.45

CPU VID Special Control....................... - 110%

LDT Voltage Control........................... - 1.20v

Chip Set Voltage Control...................... - 1.50v

DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.70v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 166

Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - Disable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 2.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 03

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 06

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 02

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 08 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 12 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - 3120 Cycles

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Enabled

(Twcl).................... 01

Fully Stable - Prime95 24hours, Memtest 12hours, and I'm still only getting 37m 56.953s, which isnt even what I used to do on stock! The only change I've made was to flash from the original bios shipped with the motherboard to the official 06/04/2006, and I have tried fiddling with all the ram settings as I suspect this is the cause of the problem, however to no avail.... I am using SuperPI mod 1.5XS downloaded from the DFI Overclocking guide - does anyone have any idea whats causing this and how to fix it? Very frustrating having 11mins suddenly shaved off the SuperPI time... Help would be very appreciated!

The thing is I'm not 100% sure what the original bios was - I reckon its the standard 310 shipped with the motherboard. However, if it is indeed 310 I feel slightly apprehensive changing back to it; correct me if im wrong, but doesnt it lack support of the Venices?

OK, so i've just flashed to the 03/10/2005 bios which i'm nearly 100% sure was the bios during when I had results of 33mins, set the settings exactly the same, however the time is still 42mins - this is definitely a lot slower than it should be for a stock 3500 Venice... Anyone got any suggestions how to solve this problem or what's causing it??? I distinctly remember getting results of 33mins before, not just once but 10-15 times. :confused: :confused: :confused:

If your system is in the original state it was previously ( software and hardware) and the times are that far off I would format and reinstall Windows. If it's 100% stable the only thing I can think of would be something taking processor time away from Super_Pi.

Guest GripS

My first thought is that there may be something running in the background which would increase your time.

I doubt it's overclocking degredation.

Have you tried going back to the original bios and settings and check your times?

Each BIOS version has its own diferent tweaking, even when running CPU at stock speeds. Like Praz said when you had your original BIOS you also had some RAM settings which worked perfectly, but then with the new version these are not and need to be tweaked again.

Updating BIOS isn't a 10 minutes deal like everybody, me included, thought... its a very big process on which every user needs to find the right settings for the new BIOS again. SuperPi is really sensitive to RAM settings so perhaps this is where all the extra time comes from.

I would say try the following:

FSB Bus Frequency............................. - 264

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - X 3.0

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - X 10.0

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... - 100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value......................... - Startup

CPU VID Control............................... - 1.45

CPU VID Special Control....................... - 110%

LDT Voltage Control........................... - 1.20v

Chip Set Voltage Control...................... - 1.50v

DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.70v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 166

Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 2.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 03

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 05

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 02

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 07 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 11 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 01 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 01 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Enabled

(Twcl).................... 01

If this doesn't boot, then go back to Twtr=2 and Trwt=3; and try it again. Then look at A64 tweaker reading for Tref, then go to Dracula's Tref table and change Tref from Auto to higher of the two numbers Dracula gives you in his table, I'll bet 3120 is not your best number.

Also - try going back to 1:01 divider on RAM. And lower your FSB to whatever is your fastest 1:01 setting and try SuperPI again.

Also - Run memtest to make sure you do not have bad DIMM of RAM. Memory failure could be your problem.

Also - you might want to see what happens when run SuperPI to only 1M digits. If you are above 34-36 seconds, then maybe something is wrong. If not, you are probably okay.

Lastly - check what programs you have running at startup. Or what programs are running in background. Do you have some kind of file sharing program going, or email? Like Limewire or BitTorrent or some such nonsense? I dunno what is running, but there is something that is sucking bandwidth. So see if anything is running, and shut it down. Then run SuperPI again, and see what your time is then.

Try opening msconfig and booting without any startup programs selected and see if this helps.

Probably not the cause of your times being slow.. but nice to check it off as a possible problem anyway.

Praz: I formatted out a partition, installed Windows, SuperPI and drivers (such as forceware, motherboard drivers) only. Then I ran Super PI, however times were still the same. Just to make sure, I changed hard drive to a 40Gb one i had and did a clean install of windows. No Luck.

coroder, n00bzor and GripS: Thanks for this very sensible suggestion; however, I always run msconfig and delete things that aren't totally necessary for startup, as I like my computer to load fast :) I double checked anyway - all the programs were vital ones such as NvCpl, Atitool, etc, all of which I'm fully confident I was running when I obtained the 33mins results. However if it was something slowing SuperPI down, the clean install should have got rid of it - but the fact that I still have 42mins on stock suggests that it probably isnt a specific program... :sweat:

n00bzor and cellyboo: My ram does not run under 1T - I can't boot Windows no matter what. If you look at my sig, its 2x 512 Kingston Value Ram - and the DFI overclocking guide states that 2x 512 can often not be run under 1T. If you guys have any ideas or suggestions how to get it stable at 1T, it would be much appreciated, as no amount of tweaking has enabled me to use this setting. However, i'm sure that when I obtained results of 33mins, CPC was Disabled, ie. 2T.

n00bzor: Your suggested settings appear to be a little bit too aggresive for my Value Ram :rolleyes: - I cant run 2-3-2-5 unfortunately, and

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 01 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 01 Bus Clocks

is also not stable...

However my Ram is 100% stable at the settings that I have posted previosly - I have run 14hours of memtest, and 24hours of prime with no errors...

So........ I initially thought that maybe it was the version of SuperPI (SuperPI mod 1.5 XS) so I downloaded 2 other versions, but it didnt give me the performance increase... Plus this guy:

madmike @

http://www.techseekers.net/modules.p...wtopic&p=12545

obtained his result of 33mins on stock with SuperPI mod 1.5 XS (post number 6) - THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS I USED TO GET!!!

Anyone got any more ideas/suggestions??? Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!