Sign in to follow this  
pmrdij

nForce4 DFI SLI-DR issues - could it be dying?

recently i've seen a good plenty of BSOD's of various kind which haven't been so surprising considering as i wait for a 64-Bit version of Outpost Firewall 4.0 i am using nVidia's NAM. in the midst of this, with nVidia's NAM exited and out of the way, i can run Super PI 16MB runs, memtest86+, 3DMark03, Sandra 2006 and Prime95 up and down the block without a single glitch.

that said since i attempted to use four HDDs in RAID 0 back in March my system has frequently stopped responding during startup or in the middle of the night during scans from both Windows Defender x64 and Symantec CE 10.0.2.2010. the latter of which often sees the display signal from the video card fail to power back on if this issue occured during the scans requiring a manual restart. at the time of the 4 HDDxRAID 0 i was getting file errors all over and thus i went back to my 2 HDD per RAID 0 array configuration. a few weekends ago my system refused to power on aside from a brief twitch multiple times (4-5 times the system came on/shutdown within 2 seconds) until i pulled the PSU connections to the motherboard and reset them. this would be the second incident of this nature since the March four HDD RAID 0 affair.

i feel this is a sign of the motherboard going out.. your thoughts (if any would be appreciated)?

- Robert (PmR)DeathInJune

Pull the board out of the case and set up a test bench with minimal equipment and just do some basic build and such to isolate the problem. This is what separates the men from the boys. You've got some good stuff there, work on it. If you get stuck talk it out with us. We will help but get dirty.

Pulling the power commectors effectivly constituted a cmos clear I think you are pushing the limits of your Power supply since it appears you now are experiencing cold boot issues which are usualy Power supply related. fabe

I agree with thefabe, I dont think your motherboard is dying. I think they are just isolated incidents. Uninstall Nvidia's Firewall and Network manager crap completely, that gave me blue screens as well. Even with it exited i think it still has drivers in memory.

Make a note of the error code in the blue screens and post them here. They often give an indication of what is wrong. What version of drivers are you using? Have you tried a clean re-install?

Its possible that the 4 hard drives were stressing your PSU although PC Power and Cooling are meant to be the best.

Pull the board out of the case and set up a test bench with minimal equipment and just do some basic build and such to isolate the problem. This is what separates the men from the boys. You've got some good stuff there, work on it. If you get stuck talk it out with us. We will help but get dirty.

firstly thanks for replying to all of you.

i've been there and done that many times before in my lifetime so i know what to do in the test bench respect. admittedly i am trying to avoid gutting the machine out as i have two John Rambo-esque cats whom would make the test environment something that could not last more than a day with 100% supervision safely unless i work in a crowded closet alongside a water heater or on a deck using extension power cords (seriously both of them made multiple attempts to get into this workstation and another while i was building them this past year - Lian Li and female cats go quite well together so i've learned)...

anyhow Fabe this all began only after attempting four HDD's in RAID 0. the same hardware existed before, then and now. only difference is that before and after the four HDD RAID 0 problems was that i had the HDD's configured as two RAID 0 arrays (two HDD's per). considering my hardware my PSU more than exceeds the requirements (power:P

edit: updated my sig to the current information noting my Turbo-Cool 2x and current OC.

just to rehash this thread i finally got around to formatting/reinstalling Windows. went for 32-Bit instead of the 64-Bit i was running before. restarts have gone away except for one that oddly enough resets the system, disregarding auto-restart being unchecked, only during the AM hours while nothing is scanning the HDD's. i did not install the same AV/Firewall software this time around (have gone from a mix of Symantec CE/nVidia NAM to NOD32/Outpost) and the only other applications running in the background that i had before are ATi's CCC (then 6.6 now 6.7) , MBM and Windows Defender (most recent beta). i set Windows Defender to not run a scan every AM so that leaves me with CCC and MBM as the possible culprits outside of hardware. oh the troubleshooting continues :rolleyes:!

firstly thanks for replying to all of you.

i've been there and done that many times before in my lifetime so i know what to do in the test bench respect. admittedly i am trying to avoid gutting the machine out as i have two John Rambo-esque cats whom would make the test environment something that could not last more than a day with 100% supervision safely unless i work in a crowded closet alongside a water heater or on a deck using extension power cords (seriously both of them made multiple attempts to get into this workstation and another while i was building them this past year - Lian Li and female cats go quite well together so i've learned)...

anyhow Fabe this all began only after attempting four HDD's in RAID 0. the same hardware existed before, then and now. only difference is that before and after the four HDD RAID 0 problems was that i had the HDD's configured as two RAID 0 arrays (two HDD's per). considering my hardware my PSU more than exceeds the requirements (power:P

edit: updated my sig to the current information noting my Turbo-Cool 2x and current OC.

Well, if you only have the 4 drives, than that means you're using all 4 drives at once to boot into the OS (and to do all HDD related tasks). This could still be power related, as before not all 4 drives were being accessed at the same time, but only 2 at a time. The way you now have the drives configured demands more power. I'm not saying for sure that this is your issue, but you do have quite a beefy setup there, and even PC Power & Cooling PSU's can be overloaded.

I hope you figure out your issues quickly.

Well, if you only have the 4 drives, than that means you're using all 4 drives at once to boot into the OS (and to do all HDD related tasks). This could still be power related, as before not all 4 drives were being accessed at the same time, but only 2 at a time. The way you now have the drives configured demands more power. I'm not saying for sure that this is your issue, but you do have quite a beefy setup there, and even PC Power & Cooling PSU's can be overloaded.

I hope you figure out your issues quickly.

i've had that thought in mind for sometime, however, what just doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me is that everything was steaming along sans issue prior to trying the 4 HDD RAID 0 config. at any rate i broke down and ordered up a Thermaltake Pure Power Express 250W last night just to power my Radeon. figured if it is power related that should lighten the load on the PCP&C unit i have. wish they made the damn thing in all silver as my Lian Li is going to look goofy as hell with a black bay in the middle... thinking i might need to get a CDROM plate to cover it for aesthetics.

thanks for the words of hope :D.