New Bios Mod DFI Expert

hi, i'm from italy

i have dfi Expert and OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K ( 2x 1GB )

today i installed an opteron 165 and i can only reach 290x9 stable

300x9 it crashes

can be the merlin bios useful for those ram?

thanks in advance ( fogive my english )

your mem is typically UCCC, so yes, Merlin's bios should definately help. I would try it to confirm. also, have you been successful running your opty at 3ghz on another board or with different mem? you seem a little surprised that you can't get 300 stable, which is not easy to do.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your mem is typically UCCC, so yes, Merlin's bios should definately help. I would try it to confirm. also, have you been successful running your opty at 3ghz on another board or with different mem? you seem a little surprised that you can't get 300 stable, which is not easy to do.

if i could reach 2700 i would be very happy! my problem are thos ram sticks

before i had a 3500+ winchester and i reached 9x292 with adata vitesta 566 2x512 sticks... then i put the ocz 2x1gb and the problems started :sad:

than i reached 283x9 with ocz but now i can't be stable neither with 200mhz

this morning doesn't recognize HDDs :mad:

it'driving me crazy

Hi Merlin,

I think there's something wrong with the ram divider; I tried to set 290x10 with 180 ram divider, the actual ram clock is 240 mhz and not 265, it has set the ram at 166. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Thanks!

UPDATE: disabling the odd divisor correction in the BIOS solved the problem, now running 290x10 1.44v and ram 264 mhz 2.72v stable :) cpu idles at 28° on air (20° ambient temp)

Thanks Merlin, you deserve such name for sure ;)

Another update: running same voltages 295x10, ram@270 with the following timings!!

CAS Latency (CL) 3T

RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 4T

RAS Precharge (tRP) 4T

RAS Active Time (tRAS) 8T

Row Cycle Time (tRC) 7T

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 14T

Command Rate (CR) 1T

RAS To RAS Delay (tRRD) 2T

Write Recovery Time (tWR) 2T

Read To Write Delay (tRTW) 3T

Write To Read Delay (tWTR) 2T

Write CAS Latency (tWCL) 1T

Refresh Period (tREF) 200 MHz 15.6 us

DQS Skew Control Increase Skew

DQS Skew Value 0

DRAM Drive Strength Normal

DRAM Data Drive Strength 4 (No Reduction)

Max Async Latency 8 ns

Read Preamble Time 5.0 ns

Idle Cycle Limit 16

Dynamic Idle Cycle Counter Disabled

Read/Write Queue Bypass 16

Bypass Max 4

32-byte Granularity Disabled

Not bad for a 2GB set. Merlin you put a spell on my rig :)

Hi Merlin,

I think there's something wrong with the ram divider; I tried to set 290x10 with 180 ram divider, the actual ram clock is 240 mhz and not 265, it has set the ram at 166. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Thanks!

I have the same problem, using the same sticks on the same mobo. you find a workaround? I'm trying for 290 1:1 right now.

UPDATE:

I just saw your comment about the odd divisor. I'm going to try that tonight!

Also, let me know your max mem oc. 280 1:1 is piece of cake. I'm working on 290 1:1 now, but haven't played with timings yet. I'll post my timings later tonight.

I have the same problem, using the same sticks on the same mobo. you find a workaround? I'm trying for 290 1:1 right now.

UPDATE:

I just saw your comment about the odd divisor. I'm going to try that tonight!

Also, let me know your max mem oc. 280 1:1 is piece of cake. I'm working on 290 1:1 now, but haven't played with timings yet. I'll post my timings later tonight.

Hi douirc, I still have to try and push my memory so far, with previous bioses it was difficult for me going over 265 mhz with decent timings and not too much overvolt (I tried 2.77v). Let me know your timings (also @280) and I'll let you know if they work for me. Btw according to your sig, your ram is not the same as mine (2 x OCZ EL Gold GX XTC 1GB). Cheers!

For those that wish to try this Bios but are unsure of how to flash under DOS

here's what you do.

First download Merlins bios file and extract it to a clean formatted floppy disk

then download a AWARD FLASH Utility and also extract that to the same floppy disk that you have merlins bin file!

You can find the Award Flash utilitys at rebelshaven.com

For example I went to rebelshaven for the dfi expert bios page and just downloaded the flash utiliy which in my instance is AWD860B, but whatever the case may be after you have extracted both files to the formatted floppy disk just ckick on floppy drive in my computer and it will show the contents of the disk! So get a piece of paper and write down the name of the flash utility as well as the merlins bios bin file!

Example~ Award Flash Utility = AWD860B

Example~ Merlins Bios = EX100706

Now use a Win 98 boot floppy with ram drive support and use that to boot into DOS Command.

Once you boot into dos and get to A: _

remove the Win 98 Boot Floppy and insert you're floppy with the flash utility and Merlins bin file

Then with that floppy in the drive type in you're flash utility which will be

A:AWD860B (press enter)

then you will see the award flash utility screen requesting the file name at this point at A: Promt type in merlins bin file heres the actual example....

A:EX100706.BIN (press enter)

Then it will ask you if you wish to save you're current bios I chose no because I dont have a bios savior an was afraid I would not have enough space on the eeprom chip I could be wrong but I did not want to take the chance!

After you choose to save the current bios file "or not" it will flash to merlins bios then just power down manually after removeing the floppy and follow the normal clear cmos and flash procedure!

I hope this helps some of you guys out that don't already know how to do this! Just don't use Winflash because it SUCK'S and I have seen more flash problems revolving around WINFLASH then anything else!!!

For those that wish to try this Bios but are unsure of how to flash under DOS

here's what you do.

First download Merlins bios file and extract it to a clean formatted floppy disk

then download a AWARD FLASH Utility and also extract that to the same floppy disk that you have merlins bin file!

You can find the Award Flash utilitys at rebelshaven.com

For example I went to rebelshaven for the dfi expert bios page and just downloaded the flash utiliy which in my instance is AWD860B, but whatever the case may be after you have extracted both files to the formatted floppy disk just ckick on floppy drive in my computer and it will show the contents of the disk! So get a piece of paper and write down the name of the flash utility as well as the merlins bios bin file!

Example~ Award Flash Utility = AWD860B

Example~ Merlins Bios = EX100706

Now use a Win 98 boot floppy with ram drive support and use that to boot into DOS Command.

Once you boot into dos and get to A: _

remove the Win 98 Boot Floppy and insert you're floppy with the flash utility and Merlins bin file

Then with that floppy in the drive type in you're flash utility which will be

A:AWD860B (press enter)

then you will see the award flash utility screen requesting the file name at this point at A: Promt type in merlins bin file heres the actual example....

A:EX100706.BIN (press enter)

Then it will ask you if you wish to save you're current bios I chose no because I dont have a bios savior an was afraid I would not have enough space on the eeprom chip I could be wrong but I did not want to take the chance!

After you choose to save the current bios file "or not" it will flash to merlins bios then just power down manually after removeing the floppy and follow the normal clear cmos and flash procedure!

I hope this helps some of you guys out that don't already know how to do this! Just don't use Winflash because it SUCK'S and I have seen more flash problems revolving around WINFLASH then anything else!!!