Opty 165 having noticable pauses and stalls on video

Quinn

Hi,

I tried to search for this issue and didn't have much success.

I've had my mobo and cpu for about 2 weeks now and I've noticed these monentary pauses or stalls on the video. They are most noticed when I play this card game, that uses java. In the game, the cards move around the screen when being dealt out. There are also some other graphics effects that move as well. Since I can be in this game for long periods of time, I often notice this momentary stalls or pauses. Since I use the mouse in this game, I've also noticed that when this happens while the mouse is moving, the pointer stops and then jumps back to its proper position. This behavior is not limited to just this game, it appears to affect the entire system/display. The pauses/stalls are very short, more like a stutter perhaps than a stall. I haven't yet correlated this to other activities in the system, like the drives or network being accessed when it occurs. So I don't know if it could have anything to do with IRQ conflicts or adjustments.

Since so many others have similiar systems, I wanted to know if this is a known issue and what the recommeded corrective actions might be.

Thanks

Have you installed AMD's dual core driver? If you haven't I'll bet it clears up any issues you have. I beliee there is a sticky in the software section for the link.

Sorry, I neglected to mention it. Yes, I did install the AMD dual core driver, even tho I thought that was for software that wrote directly to the hardware instead of using the XP video APIs. It didn't make any noticable difference for this issue.

Guest Kobalt

There is also a AMD windows patch that fixes windows timing issues with dual core timings. Found at AMDs site along with all the other drivers /utils they have there.

There is also a AMD windows patch that fixes windows timing issues with dual core timings. Found at AMDs site along with all the other drivers /utils they have there.

The only XP patch I found on their site for the Opty was one to let the OS control the speed, voltage, etc for the CPU. I would think for OC'ing that this would not be desirable. Is that the fix your referring to?

I've uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled the drivers and the video stutters still persist.

Thinking this "felt" more like an IRQ sharing issue than anything else, I went on the hunt to find if video card has exclusive IRQ access or is sharing. I found that it is sharing the IRQ with the PCI SCSI adapter that my DDS4 tape drive uses. I temporarily disabled the SCSI adapter's driver via the device manager. This appears to have made a huge difference. In several hours of use, I may have only noticed two very minor stutters, rather than experiencing pronounced stutters every couple of minutes.

So now I have to figure out how to change the IRQ settings for either adapter. Not a trivial task if everything I've read about XP's ACPI HAL support is true.

Anyone have suggestions on tricks to get different IRQs assigned to adapters? Bear in mind I can't move the video adapter since I only have a single x16 PCI-E slot.

Recently i've been having the same exact issue. I have Windows XP SP1 with the latest AMD Opteron (Dual Core) patch installer. When i play Call Of Duty i would get a pause and when it unpauses i'm at the place i was going. I think it's some kind of HEAT ISSUE. I noticed having these issues after i installed the Dual Core patch installer though. Last night it was running fine because i had a big fan on the side case window cooling everything. So i'm thinking it's high heat around 57c or something. I haven't checked it, but my idle is around 35-40c now and days because of the wondering California heat wave.

Recently i've been having the same exact issue. I have Windows XP SP1 with the latest AMD Opteron (Dual Core) patch installer. When i play Call Of Duty i would get a pause and when it unpauses i'm at the place i was going. I think it's some kind of HEAT ISSUE. I noticed having these issues after i installed the Dual Core patch installer though. Last night it was running fine because i had a big fan on the side case window cooling everything. So i'm thinking it's high heat around 57c or something. I haven't checked it, but my idle is around 35-40c now and days because of the wondering California heat wave.

I have my system running at stock speed so far. It runs about 33-34C when idle, and rises to about 42C at load. I wouldn't consider these extreme temps at all, yet I see this issue. Would be interesting to know if your video card is sharing its IRQ with something as my system is. To see, go to Device Manager -> View -> Resources by type -> Interrupt Request (IRQ).

Guest Kobalt
I have my system running at stock speed so far. It runs about 33-34C when idle, and rises to about 42C at load. I wouldn't consider these extreme temps at all, yet I see this issue. Would be interesting to know if your video card is sharing its IRQ with something as my system is. To see, go to Device Manager -> View -> Resources by type -> Interrupt Request (IRQ).

2k/XP don't really share IRQs. Think of them as virtual IRQs. If the drivers are programmed correctly, then you will have no issues. This is of course assuming you have installed a PnP HAL.